Are there inherent problems with a Porsche Cayenne

Asked by Feb 02, 2016 at 10:10 PM about the 2005 Porsche Cayenne S AWD

Thinking of buying an older Porsche Cayenne S with 94K miles.  Are there any
issues with these vehicles?

engine problems.. check www.carcomplaints.com

2,145

Coolant tubes, cardan shafts (drive shaft central bearing goes bad), noisy HVAC blower motors all fail prematurely

60

Repairs are very costly unless you can do the work yourself. Fuels pumps go, coolant tubes, chain tension er, water pump, all had to be repaired on my 2004 Cayenne. Also brakes have to be replaced every 10,000 or so miles. They take turns needing replacement, first the front and then the back. Tires are minimum $800-$1,000. they seem to wear every 15,000 or so miles. And the radio PCM amplifier had to be replaced, I loved my car, but finally sold it at 105,000 miles. IF you can afford the repairs then go for it. I do not know if later models were any better.

60

Get a car history from the owner. I kept all my repairs receipts. Did I mention fuel pumps also had to be replaced.

405

We have the V8 Cayenne S from 2012, about 40K miles. If you buy CPO with Porsche it is great b/c it includes the extended 7yr + 100K mile warranty for trivial cost. And when something breaks, it is NOT TRIVIAL. Recently our 2012 Cayenne experienced a COOLANT LEAK due to the ENDEMIC PORSCHE COOLANT PIPE ATTACHMENT DESIGN found on all models, including high end 911's and Panamera's from the 2010-2014 time period. Porsche decided to use LOCTITE adhesive to attach critical cooling tubes within the engine instead of a simple screwed-clamp (No Joke, across all 3 models!). Porsche filed a 25-pg NHTSA response from the factory that shows their weak coolant "water neck" adhesive design. Our Cayenne cooling tube connecting the 2 halves of the engine came loose, and all the coolant escaped the car in less than 30 seconds. Luckily we were on surface streets, and after flat- bedding the SUV 30 miles to the nearest dealer, the cost to repair was $5,500. We are real fortunate that our SoCal Porsche Advisor went to bat for us with PCNA, and that thankfully PCNA covered $4,800 of the cost, out of warranty. The repair requires that the ENGINE BE REMOVED from the car! (like a Ferrari 30K mile service!)

395

2010-2012 Cayenne S & turbo models (V8 engines, 4.8 DFI): The camshaft bolt shearing problem affects 2010-2012 Cayenne V8 models (S & turbo). The bolt in question is an aluminum/steel core version, and Porsche's recommended update is all steel. Bolt shearing happens in different places, especially the head, and the affected engine will have varying degrees of damage, up to full replacement, which according to various Cayenne forums, happens frequently. Panamera V8 engines from the same & earlier time periods are also affected. Porsche issued a Workshop Campaign (WC-22 issued March 2013) to address a subset of affected vehicles. Some failures have occurred on vehicles outside the campaign. A Porsche dealer can run your VIN thru the WC system to see if your Cayenne is covered. For failures not covered by WC- 22, you can ask your Service Advisor to contact PCNA to authorize a repair or engine replacement under the Emissions Warranty, which would cover damage from the camshaft programmed to control emissions output, which is 7yrs/70K or 8yrs/80K depending on multiple factors including the state the car was purchased in. The Federal Emissions Warranty is 8yrs/80K.

405

There is a good overall review of the Camshaft Adjuster Bolt Sheering problem by a set of attorneys in California. They describe: "The problem lies in the aluminum camshaft adjuster bolts which have a tendency to sheer off, which prevent the camshafts from running. If this occurs in the camshaft that operates the vacuum pump, the power braking will also fail, which will result in an extremely dangerous situation especially if the driver does not have the strength to brake the car without the vacuum powdered brakes. The bolts themselves may also drop into the engine and cause the engine to fail." The link to this article published Aug-2016 is here: http://www.bestattorney.com/blog/porsche-camshaft-defect- comes-to-light

10

So sad, Porsche you should be ashamed for your poor engineering quality, especially for a premium sports car, suv or sedans manufactured in the Las 20 yrs. I own 3 classic Porsches and by far way way more reliable than anything made by you in the last 20yrs. Take lessons from Toyota or Honda! Every time I want to purchase a newer late Porsche all I see is temporary gratification. $$$ out the window!!!

2,145

Jack, I beg to differ. I have owned more than 25 Porsches in the last 25 years, currently owning a 1972 911, 1976 911, 2004 996 C4S, 2009 997 Carrera 2 PDK. The air cooled cars need far more maintenance per mile driven. I have to do the valves and gaskets every year, points, spark plugs every 20k miles, bushes, gear shift linkages. I had to do engine out valve jobs on both before they reached 100k miles. Both the water cooled cars have over 100k miles and I have never touched anything on the engine other than 1 spark plug change, 1 AOS and oil changes every 7k miles. The newer cars get driven a lot harder too.

10

Took delivery of the new Cayenne S 3 in January 2018. Not seen any other new ones on the road in Switzerland so far. Had the car for five weeks now and endless problems. Amongst other the cover on the rear wiped simply falls off. The entire navigation system and radio is faulty, simply freezes for hours on end. Last week the hard rive crashed. Porsche also sold me carpets which they now informed me are not being manufactured so I can't get them. Yet they do not refund me for the carpets. I ordered the car in September 2017 and made it clear that I need an English manual, they had all this time to provide it but still have not. Poor product and shocking sales service.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I am waiting for the new X5 before Deciding what to buy I would prefer Cayenne 3. fantastic design. Fantastic driving experience. But how reliable? A friend of mine has 1 Panamera....now selling after Less than 1 year for too many problems.

I want to share a troubleshooting experience with a 2014 cayanne hybrid. I added some aftermarket parts to the electrical system (I know, frowned apon) in the midst of fiddling around in the rear compartment that houses the hybrid batteries I bumped the orange latch for the disconnect. Photo below. That set off a code on the dash called "hybrid system warning" the car would function normally except it would not start. Simply sliding the lever on the orange switch closed repaired it. 24 hours and two mechanics later.