"Ford escort: 95 ford escort died while driving and won't start.

40

Asked by Sep 21, 2013 at 06:28 PM about the 1995 Ford Escort 2 Dr LX Hatchback

I checked spark and I check fuel
both are good

110,025

Check your timing belt. With the age of your car its probably about time to replace it. It could have broke or jumped time.

110,025

www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRFRgHiHnyk --- this may help

110,025

Sorry but that video is not all that good but it will give you an idea where to look to check your timing belt.

24,225

There is a black plastic cover on the front of the motor that's about 4 or 5 inches wide. The timing belt is and Cam Shaft Pulley are under that cover. Watch the pulley and belt while someone cranks the engine - if nothing turns - the belt is stripped. Just to prevent having to do the job twice in the same week, replace the water pump and the belt. Belt and pump approximately $130. Not a job for a novice but it can be done in the driveway.

66,075

You can also run a compression test. If all cylinders test low then it's the timing belt. HTH. -Jim

40

Yeah it's the timing belt I thought when I checked the spark that it wasn't but then I realize this car has coil packs and not a distributor...lol I went crazy yesterday jumping wires and not finding codes ...

66,075

Next thing to determine is whether or not it's an interference engine. In other words did the valve train get damaged when the timing belt broke? My '94 Escort had the 1.9 L so when mine broke it was ok. The 1.8 L (for 1994) was an interference motor. Perhaps someone else here knows for your '95 Model. HTH. -Jim

24,225

The 1.9L engines are all the same - free wheeling. You'll be fine.

Best Answer
40

1.9L Yeah I'm safe... I'm taking it down today... I just hope nothing breaks... Fingers crossed...

110,025

Don't worry it's not all that hard just be sure to get all the timing marks lined back up correctly. Drive safe and good luck.

Best Answer
40

Cars up and running like a champ... Thank you all ... Ford made this easy thank God they did away with the distributor ... Lol

110,025

That's great. Glad you got it back on the road. Drive safe.

66,075

Awesome!! Thanks for letting us know. -Jim

20

It's dies on me while driving

110,025

Does it mainly die when slowing to stop but runs fine other than that? If so possibly dirty/faulty idle air control valve or dirty throttle plate.

20

My 95 quit while slowing down,I pulled over and after a few minutes it started up again. It wouldn't start right up but after 10 minutes --up and running no more problem. This happened about 2 months ago, just the same, but at the time I thought perhaps I stalled it. It will occasionally stall at lights while idling but starts right up. Just passed smog in CA, can't be that dirty.

10

Same with mine, i changed the spark plug cables and that fixed the stalling.

10

listen mine stop on and the timing belt is not broke what else could be wrong the guy said it jump timing and my motor might be gone