1991 Firebird wont do anything when attempting to start

Asked by Feb 16, 2016 at 09:04 PM about the 1991 Pontiac Firebird Base

Earlier today i was moving my firebird closer to my
house, and as i was braking the car shut off. I dont
know it i hit any of the wires that are above the
brake/gas. I tried to restart it and i get absolutely
no response from the key. The check engine light
or security light wont flash. My interior and exterior
lights function fine, but nothing works that requires
the key to be in the battery position.

5,705

Have your battery checked - it sounds like it doesn't have enough power to crank it - if it comes back as good the next step is to check your ignition switch at the bottom of the console - both are common failures

I dont personally think its the battery. I mean when i turn the key nothing is happening at all. The fuel pump isnt priming, no security check.

5,705

Then try the next step - you're heading the right direction but it always helps to start at the basic stuff, sometimes it surprises you

How can I check the ignition switch?

5,705

Check to see if you have power coming into the switch - if you do and it is not transferring thru when you turn the key it has failed. If that sounds to complicated you could just purchase a replacement as they are pretty cheap and replace it. It is most likely the culprit if the battery is good

Do I need to replace the key too? Since it has the resistor? And since my security light isnt coming on, its not the VATS?

5,705

This component actually is not part of the key and tumbler assy - they are separate, its common for them to be confused. The only part you need to replace is electrical

Best Answer

Okay that sounds pretty easy, but is there any possibility that my foot hit a wire loose? There is a purple/white wire that i thought was the ignition wire hanging. Its grouped with a gray wire.

5,705

of course that is possible - I'd crawl down there and take a good look around