95 Ford Contour surging and jerking

35

Asked by Jun 07, 2015 at 02:12 PM about the 1995 Ford Contour 4 Dr GL Sedan

Got a 95 Contour about a week ago. Been noticing
some issues as I drive it around. It jerks/surges forward while accelerating occasionally
when going
about 30 MPH but more frequently when going over 45 MPH. At a stop in Drive or Park
it hesitates. In reverse it's pretty rough but as
soon as I switch into Drive the sound and vibration goes away. Twice now it's had a
problem starting first thing in the morning but always starts up when I crank it a second
time. Sometimes when I put the car in park after driving for a bit I can here a whistling
sound almost like a tea kettle. Vacuum leak? It sounds like it's coming from the AC
line but it's to the left of the air cleaner and sounds like it might be coming from the
transmission area.I'm starting to think maybe fuel pump or ignition coil. Any advice
would be much appreciated. Thank you!

293,035

Whistling is usually a vacuum leak. Check all your hoses, sounds like you have an idea which one by the area you described. Clean the throttle body and idle air control valve as well.. Since you just bought it, you probably don't know when it was last serviced, so change/check the spark plugs, change the fluids and filters.

Best Answer Mark helpful
35

Thank you so much for your advice. Going to check my fuel pressure first and foremost. Then I'm going to do plugs and wires and check the ignition coil. Did an oil change a few days ago but plan on doing a tranny flush within the next week. Radiator flush later on.