Jerking only when going 45-55 mph.

25

Asked by Jun 21, 2015 at 01:25 PM about the Ford Contour

I have a 95 Ford Contour. It runs fine and there isn't any warning lights on. It shifts a
little rough but nothing to serious. It will start jerking/surging slightly when I go over 45
and up to 55 mph but if I go 56+ or under 45 it doesn't jerk at all. Not sure if that means
it's slipping in-between my last 2 gears or if there might be something going on with the
fuel system or something. Maybe torque converter locking up? When switching into
reverse it's pretty harsh as well, mostly
because of the heavy vibration. PLEASE HELP.

68,895

If it is doing as you said,sounds like the tranny is going out,but may try some lucas tranny oil in may help,and would not hurt to change the tranny filter all so.

257,485

Does it jerk when you lock out O/D? If it doesn't, it's your overdrive band that is burnt. Also a problem with reverse? I'd say the same as T_S_T, said, maybe time for a new used transmission.

25

I haven't tried turning o/d off. Isn't it bad to get up to that high of a speed without o/d on?