What does it mean when a fan motor has two poles?

Asked by Jan 16, 2015 at 05:56 AM about the 1992 Pontiac Firebird Base

I was looking for a cooling fan for my car and
I came across couple of  options and one of the
fans in the discretion said it had two pole and
had not heared of that so I was wondering
what that means

98,015

http://www.oddparts.com/acsi/defines/poles.htm This is the technical definition on what a pole is, in layman’s terminology it’s the speed of the motor which is determined by the number of poles, 2 poles 3600 rpm’s, 4 poles 1800 rpm, 8 poles 800 rpm’s, these speeds are with no load and are a little slower when a load is place on it.

88,855

I know that is true for multi speed electric motors, but automotive motors only have 2 poles, positive and negative, motor speed is handled by a motor controller. Some automotive motors only have 1 pole for a connection, that is usually positive, the negative is carried by the case of the motor. HTH