i just replaced my cars fuel pump. my firebird was stopped for 2 years and it works fine but after driving around for like 40 mins or less the fuel pump gets really loud and it dies i let it sit there for like 5 minutes and then run great for about 2 minutes and i have to do that intill i let cool down completely

25

Asked by Feb 09, 2013 at 07:54 PM about the 1992 Pontiac Firebird Base

HAVE CHANGES THE FUEL FILTER

1,625

might want to get another pump, that's definitely not normal

25

first i thought it was that, but i did already it does the same thing so i dont know what else could it be

21,335

your fuel filter is operating on a pin hole,laboring the pump to death,

Good call jimmy, maybe someone put their cigarette in the tank (seen this..ugly) and blocked the intake screen. I can see this.

25

so jimmy are you telling me to replace my fuel filter? and bob what are you talking about?

100,705

How's the pressure on the fuel rail? Is you regulator working? It should be sending excess fuel back to the tank.

1,645

Bob, the 92 has an electric pump. A mechanical pump doesn't supply the required pressure for fuel injection.

1,645

Chino, I would suggest checking the fuel line connectors. It's possible there's a small hole in one of the connectors or fuel lines and fuel is just going through that hole back into the tank.

5,195

I agree with Jimmy. Sounds like your fuel filter is clogged with either debris or trapped water from sitting around for 2 years. Is your fuel fresh?

25

Yes the fuel is fresh I have been driving around town and it runs great until I drive like 30 mins nonstop it start to fail. And what should the fuel pressure be and where is it located oh and someone said that it could be the icm but idk What do u guys think?

1,645

Generally, if the ICM is the problem, it will not allow the vehicle to refire at all until it has cooled off thoroughly. Fuel pressure should be ~42 psi, assuming you have the 305 TPI.

25

How would i know if its a 305 tpi i got a 92 pontiac firebird 3.1

1,625

well under the hood theirs a tag that tells you the year and engine size

1,645

305 is a V8. The 3.1 is a V6.

21,335

chino you still with us?, were write'n a book here dammit!

325

Same issues.......... 3.1 6 cyl and was sitting a year :( taking to my home mechanical and see what to do this info helped anymore would be awesome