My 1992 bonneville se is stuck in the park position, it will start and run , but it won't come out of park

10

Asked by Mar 09, 2014 at 09:04 PM about the 1992 Pontiac Bonneville 4 Dr SE Sedan

The car has been setting for two years, has been tuned up and all fluids maintained. It
had gotten stuck a few times before in park, but after a few times it released itself, I have
taken the console out to try and see what moving parts are affected. Can you help me?

7,185

also checkout the cable at the transmission linkage for binding. it is under the air intake duct. in the engine bay.

4,585

There's a brake-pedal actuated mechanism that locks the shifter. Over the years it can sticky. If it was giving you problems before, it's almost certain that's what's locked you in park now. With the console off, step on the brake pedal and look for this part to move. You'll need to clean and lube it, hopefully that will do it.

Best Answer
10

The actuated mechanism would not release, I had to manually release it with my hand, but once you put it back into park, it would lock on it's own. That told me that it was only working one way. After cleaning and greasing it, it still only worked one way. So I went to the kink yard and found one off a 1994 bonneville and replaced it. Now when you push the brake the actuator moves perfectly. Thanks a bunch, it only cost me 20 bucks!,

4,585

There ya go, nice job! Happy motoring.

20

How do you replace a shift cable on a 2000 Bonneville