95 Firebird 3.4 slugish, "if it does start", next time its running great till warm, then wont idle, shakes till it shuts down. If you get it running, dont stop or slow down, you may never get it going again!

35

Asked by Aug 18, 2013 at 10:42 AM about the 1995 Pontiac Firebird Base

We bought this vehicle 30 days ago, it has been towed 5x since we got it. they have
accused us of flooding it, making problems up, till they themselves couldn't get it
running. It shows no codes at all. They have replaced the plugs and said they were
wet, when checked the next time it shut down, and it wouldn't start, they were bone
dry.They are responsible to make it run, but I cant keep getting it towed every day
they give it back. When they do give it back it runs fine, for less then the day.

I think the fuel is not making it, or is not consistent, It does pop out the intake, when it
is in the no start mode, but not like a true backfire.

I think I will end up having to pay to do the work if I ever want to get the car on the
road, So your suggestions are greatly appreciated.

210,435

Sounds like you bought you car at one of those local car lots that don't want to spend a lot of money on their customers. They will continue to get it running just enough to get you off their back, hoping you will go away. So either you fight with them to give you your money back and take the car back, take a loss on the deal or have a Real mechanic fix it for you. Sounds like the carb needs a rebuilt and the timing set properly.

35

Well small dealership of about 700 new and used. And to top it off ASE certified. So I guess maybe they should know what there soing. But they dont

56,775

I'm sure you bought this 19 year old car "as is" so the so- called dealer isn't going to fix it. Sounds like you have a fuel system problem. Check the fuel pressure regulator. Make sure the vacuum hose is hooked up to the intake manifold and in good condition. Check the charcoal canister and the vacuum hoses connected to it. Any signs of raw fuel? If so, the purge valve is bad and raw fuel is being sucked into the engine. Test the fuel injectors for proper operation and clean the throttle plates as well. Inspect all of the vacuum hoses for proper routing and insure they're all in good condition. HTH. -Jim

35

Actually it had a 30 day 1000 mile and that's where we are right now. But most of it has been spent broke down or in there shop. Thanks you have been great help,

56,775

That's good about the warranty. Then heck keep taking it back. You might need to steer them in the right direction with the suggestions posted here. It's an OBD I vehicle so their "mechanic" might not be familiar with it. Good luck. -Jim