Why Does My '92 Firebird Periodically Quit Running For No Apparent Reason, Sometimes While Driving? It all goes dead....

10

Asked by Mar 16, 2012 at 12:13 AM about the 1995 Pontiac Firebird Base

It has stopped DEAD,  with everything quitting.  But if you mess around with the steering-column and tilt-wheel for a while... it suddenly starts working ok again.   Has happened 10 or 12 times over the past year.  

3,565

most likely it's the rod that travels down thru the column to activate the ignitinon switch slider under the dash . Here's a question I need to know .. is your steering column wobbly at the tilt pivot (upand down and side to side ?) if it's not then it's in the rod travel or the slider ajustment . If column is loose that is another matter we can disscus after you answer the question ... you have to make a tool to hold the lock ring down under the steering wheel in order to remove a snap ring that allows you access to the bolts that will tighten up the sloppy column .. OK ? I would rather work on the switch first at the end of the rod .. it will slide forwards and backwards slightly to match the detents of the key switch so ,on is on . and off is offf etc. PBN

Best Answer Mark helpful
515

I HAD 5 DIFFERENT CARS DO THAT - CHANGED EVERY SENSOR AND ALMOST THE COMPLETE ENGINE ON ALL. ONLY DID IT IN THE SUMMER. NEVER GOT RID OF THE PROBLEM.

30

oh boy.... the same thing happened to me with my 2001 gmc jimmy..... i happened to be driving on the interstate at 65 mph when it happened..... fortunately, i was able to steer the truck to the side of the road without the wheel locking..... honestly, it was checked over several times and nothing was ever found wrong that would cause that...... however, from my experience with mechanics in the family (general motors fans), sensors are typically a problem with GM vehicles ........just a minor thing ........hope you get to the root of the problem...... the firebird is a hot car...... good luck to you!

10

Original Poster: Checking back in, I have now eliminated a battery bad-cell problem, and corroded-contacts issue!s. These were compounding a trustworthy diagnosis! I also wired in a starter-override switch under the hood to prevent being stranded. Continuing problem is that the '92 Firebird periodically won't start (no click, no "nothing," when turning the key on/run & start) but power IS GETTING to dash, gauages, etc. AND can be started by my override switch. In two instances, the "no start" was immediately preceded by the engine enexpectedly dieing (no sputtering, just straight to dead) while driving. Anyone have thoughts?

3,565

I still suspect the column mounted slider switch under the dash , especially if you get ignition /on / power to dash but no crank . if this is a manual trans car it could also be the clutch safety interlock switch which must be closed by depressing the clutch pedal before starting . If its an automatic ,the neutral safety switch may be out of adjustment , Next time it won't start , try putting trans in neutral instead of PARK ....PBN

3,565

BTW, thanks for best answer !! PBN

My 96 firebird moves up down side to side the steering wheel. Dies sometimes when driving have to move steering wheel to get to start help