fuel tank has gone wonky.... why?

85

Asked by Jul 02, 2008 at 03:49 AM about the 1995 Ford Aerostar 3 Dr XLT AWD Passenger Van Extended

why would a '95 aero suddenly start having issues where only max of 3-4 gallons can be put in to a 21 G tank? topped off one day, went a whole week, driving a lot, then went to fill up, and would only take 2 G's before clicking off, and only max of 3 1/2 total. why could this be happening? tank isn't collapsed, either. and if manually fed, will take about 5 G total, be pounding on tank and burping fill hose. hope someone can help. thanks.

35

Extreme buildup of the mouth? Physically and logically speaking, it can't magically not take its 21 G's. I only can guess three things; 1) Gas gauge is wrong. 2) Something is consuming volume in the tank. 3) Seriously horrible build up anywhere along the line that could possibly slow down the gas input.

485

i agree with thomas... those r pretty much the only things that could happen the ur gas tank

85

i know the gas gauge is wrong. i blew the circuit on the dash console for it, when replacing the bulbs, and can't afford to replace the entire console, which Ford says I'll have to do..... and when i put an unbent coathanger down the mouth, nothing was blocking, it went cleanly all the way down to the tank.... i seriously don't know what could be the problem. we just replaced the fuel filter about 2 months ago, and it was working great....... thanks for the input, though.

if the vent hose and or line to canister is blocked, it may cause fill issues