I have a 2008 Pontiac Bonneville Supercharger and I had to replace the battery and the actual postive and negative connection cords to the battery. Now i drive down the road it just loses all power

30

Asked by May 20, 2015 at 05:46 PM about the 1998 Pontiac Bonneville 4 Dr SSEi Supercharged Sedan

after i put in a new battery and the cable cords, it would start right up. But just a few
days later i was driving down the road and the whole dashboard started flashing like it
was losing power and it just turned off while i was driving down the highway. Really
scary. Once i got it back to the house it will only turn on if i had battery cables hooked
up from another car. What does that mean. Its a brand new battery dont understand.
Once i unhook cables take it for a lil drive to make sure power is there, turn the car off
and try to start again it wont start.

30

I meant a 1998 sorry typed it in wrong

6,795

make sure all connections to the battery are tight

56,715

Double check all the battery cable connections. Make sure they're clean and tight at both ends. I had a similar issue with my '00 Grand Prix GT. Since I don't drive it much I put a screw type kill switch on the negative (-) side of the battery. It's easier than unbolting the cable from the battery every time I park it. One day I took it out for a drive and the gauges started jumping, engine wanted to stall, lights and chimes were coming on. It did this a few times during the drive. When I parked the car it wouldn't restart. It was dead! I found that the kill switch was faulty and causing an intermittent bad ground cable connection. Since you just replaced the battery cables I suspect that one of your connection points is dirty and is doing the same thing. HTH. -Jim

Best Answer
30

I have but i see on one of the charges the cable keeps sliding down eventhough it is tight it has new bolts so thats not the problem

30

thank you....i dont know anything about cars where is the cable connected to on the engine side?? and where or what is the kill switch..lol...

56,715

You're welcome and thank you for the best answer click. You don't have a factory kill switch. I installed one on my car to make my life easier. The positive (+) cable will bolt to the starter. Then there's a smaller pigtail that'll bolt to the underhood fuse box, and a 3rd pigtail that bolts to the alternator. The ground (-) cable bolts to the engine. Actually anywhere unpainted is fine. It too has a small pigtail that bolts to the body. Right there on the fender close to the battery. HTH. -Jim