my car has spark and gas..but not getting oxygen

Asked by Jun 19, 2013 at 11:56 AM about the 2000 Pontiac Sunfire SE

I have a 2000 pontiac sunfire, I was driving my son to work last week and it sputtered to a stop and now wont start...when you try to start it, it sounds like it wants to but it cant catch for some reason.  We have replaced spark plugs..and the air filter brand new fuel pump in which we discovered was not the issue, its starving for oxygen.  How can I fix this?

35,545

How do you know it's getting spark and has? Have you tested the spark? Have you tested for proper fuel pressure, volume, and injector pulse?

yes, we checked all of it, theres spark and lots of fuel. Someone came and looked at it yesterday and the brand new spark plugs are covered in oil again....

35,545

Check cylinder compression.

360

john..how do you check the proper fuel pressure and all? my car turns over but will not crank..i replaced the surge tank on my girl friends 01 Pontiac sunfire and it ran for 5mins turned it off went out there the next day to go to the store and it wouldn't crank..replaced the fuel filter, spark plugs, wires and put it on a actron tester and didn't find anything idk what to do

35,545

Hook up a fuel pressure tester to your Schrader valve located on your fuel rail. Turn the key on and watch the pressure climb, when it stops climbing turn the key off and turn it on again it should easily reach 45 psi the second time, make sure it holds that pressure. If you don't know what you're doing and you hook it up wrong the pump could dump gasoline all over the engine compartment so if you are unsure then get help.

20

jeepers creepers john its the crank solenoid if its not the fuel pump. every single time.

35,545

The crank solenoid? Are you referring to the starter solenoid? If it was a bad starter solenoid then the car wouldn't crank.

Hi i have a pontiac sunfire GT 2.4. I relpaced fuel pump an water pump. Now the car turns over but won't. Crank. What should i check next.