So i just got a 2001 Pontiac sunfire. It was running fine until this evening. The dashboard went crazy the engine would not start and there was no sound coming from the engine at all.

75

Asked by Jun 08, 2013 at 11:16 PM about the 2001 Pontiac Sunfire GT Coupe

The key would go all the way and seem normal up until the point of ignition and then
nothing. No clicking or anything. Then I would let go of the ignition and all the gauges and
lights on the dashboard would go nuts. Is this  a wiring problem? If so how can i fix it?

112,235

Check battery for proper charge. Also check and clean all battery connections positive and negative.

75

but would the battery actually cause everything to go that weird? Should I jus try to jump it? or how would i go about to check the charge?

112,235

Yes battery issue could cause them to go nuts. You could try to jump it off but I would check those connections first. If you don't have a volt meter you can take battery to a local auto parts store and they will check and test it for free.

75

call in a tow truck to move it around? the car will not start at all.

112,235

Remove battery and have tested. Or if you in a real bind check connections on top of battery then try to jump start. But if it starts get it somewhere that you or someone else can check your battery and alternator.

75

okay then, im going to do that first thing. Lets say for some unlucky reason that its not the battery or connections, what would be the next step?

112,235

I would start there. I seriously feel that you will find an issue with them. But if not check negative(ground) connections on frame and block.

you nailed it dandy---I was going to speak 'bout your course wirebrush, takin' off the bolt and assuring 300 CCA connection..by cleaning the lug (with water---a hose) and wire brush to get that three hundred cold cranking amps out of it...also the age of the battery as the will stop being able to be recharged 10% per year according to experts...five years old is a grampa...see the date chipped off the top....this is the day of it's first charge-up.~

let's not forget the 1/0 cable from the chassis ground to the engine block.~

75

"the 1/0 cable from the chassis ground to the engine block"? sorry guys im a complete noob to this car stuff so im a bit lost.could you explain judge roy? both posts please.

112,235

He is talking about the wire hooked to the negative side of the battery. It attaches to the frame of your car and the block of your motor. He has a good point about making sure that it has a good connection and is clean.

well 1/0 is that meaty big battery cable....too fat to hang around your neck as jewelry. The chassis is the "unibody" frame...that one is grounded...the reason why it's grounded is because it is the only ground in town, servicing your tail-lights, headlights and the instrument panel....also the starter motor (the second post)....which also needs this monsto-big 1/0 battery cable to allow the starter motor to have enough juice to start the car AND provide power to the ignition system so it will "fire right up"~ dandyoun speaks English...apparently I do not....maybe some day I'll get the hang of it~

75

Okay then thanks you guys, ill try this out immediately. Thanks for the help.

75

so i just cleaned the terminals and stuff that i could. It started making a rapid clicking sound for a few seconds and then stops, this means that the battery is dead right? Should I sill get it checked or should I just try to jump it?

112,235

You could try to jump it but would be best to have it checked and charged or replaced if needed.

75

okay then, ill do that instead. thanks

75

does the kind of battery matter? if so what should i look for?

112,235

I use interstate. Make sure that the CCA of the new one is atleast as many or more as your old one. Make sure that the posts on the new one are on the same sides as the old one. Did you have the old one tested? Test the old one before buying a new one just to make sure that the old one is bad. You will need the old one with you anyway when you buy the new one so that you don't have to pay a core charge.

75

not yet, Im waiting for a ride to take me to get it tested. the cca of my old one is i think somewhere around 770 or something like that. By the way what is that and what does it mean? I know it was not 300CCA as judge roy put. will it matter?

75

i checked it was 550 CCS

I have a 2001 sunfire and when i try to start it. it just click and tried to push start it and nothing was wondering if the motors locked up