aztek spark plug

20

Asked by Feb 13, 2012 at 12:27 AM about the 2001 Pontiac Aztek GT

how to remove them and install them

195

you will need a spark plug socket you need to follow the ht leads (spark plug leads) to the plug and use the socket in an anti clock wise direction to remove them then reverse the process for the new plugs. also remember when istalling the new plugs that it is vital that they are installed straight (not cross threaded) and also not to over tighten them or the porcelain can break and the plug will not function corectly it only needs to be tightened till it becomes firm and then a small eighth to quater of a turn will do.

20

Very funny car gurus it halarious is abvious that you have not seen the pligs on a aztek GT go back to school

195

so i guess your american by that kind of rudness. if you want legitimate help how about giving some thought to your question. if your having trouble getting acess to the plug why not say and ask how the best way is to get to it if you are haveing a hard time locating it same thing. if yoiu aks a vauge and general question you get a vauge and general response. from you question it seemed as though you didn't know the process of remove a plug. so how about a bit of information on what you actually need and not insult people when they try to help you!

60

Its simple, the general answers given by Tim are usable but Tim, as an owner of a Pontiac Aztec I can tell you that an Aztek is a strange bird when it comes to this. The rear plugs are best changed from under the car when on ramps. Just hope and pray that the spark plug boots haven't adhered themselves to the spark plug porcelain as the boots have to be split down the middle with a sharp filet knife or you will never get the boots off. Make sure you use the best platinum iridium plugs you can when replacing the rear plugs, BOSCH make the best for the money, in my opinion, with 4 electrodes. I say this because, YOU WILL NEVER WANT TO DO THIS JOB AGAIN! Make sure you use dielectric grease inside the new spark plug boots as well. GM Dealer said to me they charge $300 to change the set of six plugs on that vehicle...(labor only)! Good luck!

50

From what I have learned from working on these cars the easiest way the change the rear plugs is to remove the coil pack from the top rear of the engine. That should give you enough room to get back there and remove the plugs. Remember to only remove one at a time so that you don't accidentally get the the firing order messed up. Also so when you buy the new plugs the proper gap on the plug should be .060 Hope this helps.

110

Lot of people make this seem like an extremely daunting task. It kind of seemed the same way to me at first but figured out how to do it now. most have a hard time removing the 3 Spark Plugs located in the back. it is very hard to access it from the front. There is just not enough space to get your hands through there. GM Recommends using a strap tool to tilt or move the engine forward then accessing those Spark Plugs. This is not an easy task for a beginner and if not careful you can get your Jammed while working on it. I think the best way to remove those three spark Plugs is from underneath the car. There an good amount of open space to access the Spark Plug boots and Spark Plugs. It is helpful if you have one of those plastic ramps that you can drive into and move the car up. Then it is easily accessible from the back. I would recommend spending $20.00 to get a Flexible Torque Wrench made specifically for spark Plug Installation. Flexible wrench will be beneficial to work within the allotted space. And also the torque wrench will allow you to tighten each one precisely to the manufacturer recommended weight Which is 11lb Ft. GM recommends AC Delco Double Platinum Pre-gapped if possible .060. Make sure to double check with the salesman and test the Gap yourself. Sales people are prone to make mistakes and often sell the wrong part. Make sure everything is precise. precision extremely important and not only it improves the performance it reduce risk of malfunctioning. Also have anti-stuck gel handy when putting everything back. I have the repair manual in PDF format it is about 9099 page in English. It includes everything that you need. If you want a copy contact me @ Bobbyj0001@gmail.com. One Last thing make sure the car is cool because exhaust pipe is in the way and it could extremely hot and burn your hand badly. and supported firmly with Jack stands. Good Luck on your project. It is not that hard if you follow this. take your time get the repair manual Good Luck.

5

Thanks Bobbyj0001, your plug info was very helpful. Were did you find a flexible torque wrench for $20? Are you talking about a click type with a pivoting head? Is your "repair manual in PDF format" copy offer still available?