Towing a 1991 voyager with all wheels on the ground.

Asked by Feb 16, 2010 at 06:11 PM about the 1991 Plymouth Voyager Minivan

I need to know if there is anyway to disconnect the front wheel drive from the automatic transmission on a 1991 plymouth voyager so I can tow it for long distances with all 4 wheels
on the ground.
I have read that I can tow a front wheel drive automatic transmission with all four wheels on the ground if I first start the car, put it in drive, move it to neutral then shut off the engine while in neutral and then disconnect the odometer/speedometer cable.
I do not understand how this will protect my transmission from damage during a long tow.
1. Can someone explain this to me?
2. I also wish to know how to disconnect the drive wheel from the transmission so I can tow without having the transmission engaged?
Thank you.

what are you going to use? a towbar, car dolly or a trailer?

asuming its a 2wd putting it in "n" makes the van move freely. when pulling with the drive wheels on the ground creates presser in the trans while pulling it. it can be done but you have to check it after so many miles or hours. the dash is for unwanted miles. the front wheels of the van must turn freely. if youre doing a 1 shot deal (a commando run) then use a car dolly. if the van is awd then get a trailer or a bed. in other words you can fry the trans and not even know it.