Fuel Pressure Problem - seeking advice on fuel pressure regulator

Asked by Jul 25, 2015 at 04:50 PM about the 1998 Plymouth Voyager SE

The fuel pump is relatively new and when running, the fuel pressure is good (50 psi plus).
However, when the engine is shut off, the rail pressure drops way off. It requires a lot of cranking to get the pressure back up when starting the engine.
There doesn't appear to be any leak in the fuel line between the fuel pump and the fuel rail.
I am reluctant to install another fuel pump (new $300) on a vehicle this old.

20,175

YOU HAVE TO CRANK IT TO GET THE FUEL PRESSURE UP?? A FUEL FILTER WILL ALSO GIVE YOU THE PRESSURE BUT NO VOLUME...

17,650

Check the fuel pressure regulator.

17,650

Best to have it tested first.

61,015

Look for a check valve in the fuel system. It may be part of the fuel pump assembly. To avoid the excessive cranking turn the ignition on but don't try to start it. Count to 5, turn the ignition off, now start it. By cycling the key that way you're pressurizing the fuel system and it should start right up. I've been doing that with my '03 S-10 pick up for years. The check valve in the fuel pump assembly is bad and I don't want to spend the money to change the fuel pump. I'll wait for the pump to quit all together. HTH. -Jim