98 Plymouth voyager won't start.

Asked by Jan 27, 2015 at 05:43 PM about the 1998 Plymouth Voyager SE

Last week I was driving and stopped at a stop sign and my van shut off. We have tried
the starter and it won't kick out. The machine at the auto place the starter kicks out.
When I turn my key it just clicks and yes the battery is full and the relay fuses are
connecting and it sounds like everything is good except the fact it just won't start. What
else can I do?

44,355

Here's a simple test to see if it's a bad starter. Jack up the vehicle. Locate the starter. Have some turn the key to the ON position like they are starting the vehicle and hold it there. As they hold the key to the ON position, rap the starter with a hammer or a heavy ratchet. If the vehicle suddenly turns over, you have a bad starter. Even if your starter is bad, that would not have caused your van to stall out. If your check engine light is on, I would bring it to an Autozone and have the error codes read. Otherwise, you will be spending money on guessing which part is faulty. Post back with codes or if no codes, let us know.

Mine did the same thing. It was my timing belt. Now it runs great!

10

https://axleaddict.com/auto-repair/Bad-EGR-Valve-Symptoms- and-What-to-Do-About-Them My mechanic used a hand sensor and found a problem with the EGR Valve and so simply disengaged it. All problems with sporadically not starting (it would almost start but wouldn't catch but would start after several hours of cooling down):and several times it would stall at intersections and would require restarting .... both these problems have ceased. This site has excellent info on the EGR Valve information. I have a 1997 Plymouth Voyager and it sounds like my EGR valve is stuck open. My mechanic thought it sounded like my fuel pump was failing or else the crankshaft sensor was malfunctioning but wanted to try a cheap fix first and so far disengaging the EGR valve it is working. (yes I have a wonderful mechanic!)