I just bought a 99 Silhouette, the check engine light is on for P0741 code. And the TCS, ABS lights come on when in Reverse.

Asked by Mar 05, 2014 at 07:35 PM about the 1999 Oldsmobile Silhouette 4 Dr Premiere Passenger Van Extended

1. The check engine light is on all the time for P0741. When I start the car, I can hear
a thumping sound but while driving it seams ok, and sometimes the car will shut off.
2. When I go in reverse the TCS and ABS lights come on, but if I turn the car off and
put it back in Drive the lights go off and stay off. Are all these tied together? Im
thinking the TCS/ABS problem may be an electrical issue? Not sure though. Will I
have to take it in for the P09

33,655

I think it's a torque converter code. Sounds like you will have to take it into a transmission shop. Here's a list of possible problems: Gm Code P0741 If the PCM detects high converter slip when the TCC is commanded on, then a DTC P0741 will set. Known causes for P0741: Worn TCC valve bores in the valve body, Damaged or worn pump bearing seal, Defective TCC PWM or TCC apply solenoids, Restricted separator plate solenoid feed orifice, Defective converter, Computer reprogram, Channel plate sleeve & turbine shaft sealing ring damage