Headlights and Interior lights flicker?

Asked by Dec 02, 2008 at 11:16 PM about the 2001 Oldsmobile Silhouette 4 Dr Premiere Passenger Van Extended

Hello, My headlights and interior lights dim slightly and then return to normal, in idle, in park and when you step on the brakes. If you have it in park and give it gas, then they won't dim, but once you step on the brakes, then they do. I had the regulator alternator screw replaced, it still does the same thing. I took it to Autozone, and my alternator is charging at 14.5. This all started after i had my lower intake manifold gasket replaced. Does anyone know what the problem could be? Would appreciate any kind help on this. Thanks.

2,095

I take it the screw you are talking about is the one from GM bulletin #01-06-03-005. I suspect, since i've done a lot of GM 3.4L and 3.8L lower intake manifolds, that someone left a ground off somewhere or the charge wire at the alternator is not properly making contact. Another issue can be the battery connections as well - make sure those are tight. Also, not sure if you had your intake re-seal done at the dealer, but in April of this year, a revised intake manifold bolt torque was issued.

Hi, Yes that's the screw that was replaced. I will try to take it back to the place that did it. I will let them check it out, and will tell them to check what you told me. I had it done at a independant shop. I will also tell them about the bolt torque. Thank you so much for your kind help, I really appreciate it. Thanks!

Ok, took it to the place where the gasket was installed, they checked all the grounds, headlights, brake lights, battery cables, and they said everything was fine. I also bought a new Diehard battery and it still does the same thing. I also tried yeaterday, with the engine off, headlights on, and when i stepped on the brakes, headlights dimmed a little and then went back to normal. I had the re-seal done at a independent shop, they were aware of the torque issue. Do you have any other ideas what could be wrong? Thanks.