The turn signals quit and I cant find a flasher, the hazards work though, could it be the switch?

Asked by May 30, 2007 at 12:25 PM about the 2002 Oldsmobile Alero GL

I just purchased this car and it has no  owners manual and I dont know any history on the car. THANK YOU

24,800

Hi pappa! The short answer is yes, it could be the switch, but the flasher is still more likely. usually the flasher is under the dash on the drivers side. Simply stick your head down my the pedals and look up. Usually you will find a box or can type of component to the door side of the steering wheel. if you still can't run it down, head to your local big box parts store where you will buy your flasher and ask the counter guy to run down the location for you. These guys seem to know everything and if they don't they will probably look in a Chilton's for your Olds or grab some other reference material. In a lot of places these guys are happy to come out and look at your car if you bring it. Barring all of that take a trip to your local Olds dealer and the service guys there will usually give you a few minutes. They will also have your flasher. Good luck!

155

the fault is more likly to be your hazard switch there was a recall on some modles back in 2004 2005

2,490

seeing we are talking about a 02 model year the recall does not apply,,,but you are being led in the right direction...start the car and apply the hazard switch really fast in and out...the problem is in the hazard switch which by the way is your turn signal flasher which you seek...it works.....

405

the hazard switch is responsible on the turn signals try to replace it

130

I have a 2001 Alero. I just had the hazard light switch replaced and now I have a problem with both flasher and signal lights. It seems that when the car warms up the signal lights work better but it's spotty. The mechanic told me that the wiring was modified and I would need an original flasher switch to make it work properly. Do you any of you know if this is true?

405

did u put a non original hazard switch and if u did put an original one u should check is pins they can be pressed by the connector and fold down

160

I replaced my turn signal assembly twice yesterday, once with a unit from the salvage yard, and then a new one from Autozone, still does not work correctly, some time a signal other times nothing. This morning the left worked for a minute then nothing. I believe the assembly is fine, so it can only be the flasher or hazard switch. I will try again today. PETER

405

the function from the turn signal switch going to the hazard and only than to the lights it self

610

i am having trouble with my turn singles they work some times and then they stop working other times what could it be i think there,s a loose wire in there or some thing dose any one have any answers i am a girl and dont know any thing about cars

260

my girlfriend has a '01 Alero. it does the same thing and it's annoying. sometimes it works and then other times it doesn't. i have even noticed while driving it that it quits in the middle of making a turn. it's very frustrating. i have noticed that some people on here that have already replaced the hazard switch (which most people are stating is the problem) are still experiencing the problem. so, if it isn't the hazard switch, then what is it? i don't want to spend money on something and then turns out not to be the solution. any advice is greatly appreciated. thanks!

110

@larry....thanks alot. pressed the hazard switch light rapidly on and off and presto ! signals worked ! i have a 01 alero.

My used 2003 Olds Alero has the same issues with turn signals: sometimes they work, most times they don't. I'm always in danger of being rear-ended.