my 2004 oldsmobile alero gls 2dr coupe was rea ended and the insurance company for the guy who hit me dclared my car totalled. it was in very good condition with only 52,000 miles on it. how much would it be worth and what shoul i accept.

Asked by Jan 07, 2013 at 08:01 AM about the 2004 Oldsmobile Alero GLS Coupe

excellent condition, regular maintinance, low mileage. maroon in color,leather interior

1,435

An insurance company will always try to settle for the least possible dollar amount, they are in business to make money. That being said, you'll most likely have to haggle with them just like when buying and/or selling a car, to ensure you get the best deal for YOU (not them), and the phrase to use is: "YOU ARE TO MADE ME WHOLE WITH THE SETTLEMENT" , meaning the settlement puts you in the exact financial position (vehicle position) as you would were in prior to the accident. You need to do YOUR research to argue your point of value. Search autotrader, cargurus, ebay, craigslist etc etc. search for low mileage, similarly equipped vehicles like yours, sometimes hard to find the exact color so be somewhat flexible, and see what they are asking for them. If you have all your records of maintenance, make copies of them, that increases the value of ANY car to a prospective buyer, regardless what they might say. Also, the insurance company will try and offer you "trade-in value" OR LESS. Simply tell them it's NOT acceptable as you, as you weren't trading it in, so you are to get RETAIL price, especially since you have to pay retail for a replacement car so you MUST get retail for your vehicle! Also, you can offer to allow them to find a 2004 Alero GLS with 52,000 miles OR LESS, with the same equipment or MORE, with FULL records in helping making you whole again.