Has anyone had problems removing the transmission pan because the exhaust is in the way?

Asked by Jul 05, 2010 at 06:39 PM about the 1995 Nissan Pathfinder 4 Dr SE 4WD SUV

I was trying to remove the transmission pan to change the fluid and filter. I just bought this thing and reverse has gone out. I took all of the pan bolts out but could not get it off because it was hitting the exhaust. It was then that I realized that the exhaust had been cut and welded back from the last time they serviced it. I loosened up the exhaust flange at the engine on the right hand side and I still could not get the pan off. I am very frustrated and I am not liking the pathfinder a whole lot right now. Any suggestions?
Please help.

My truck 1993 Pathfinder XE 4x4. After hours of research I found you must remove the crossmember in order to get the transmission pan off, this also makes getting rear bolts off a lot easier. Be prepared for a struggle when it comes to removing crossmember bolts might help to spray some BP blaster or WD40 equivalent.

Ohh, this brings back memories. Many years ago, reverse went out on my 95 Pathfinder. Had to put in a rebuilt trans. How I miss driving a manual transmission. What did you end up doing?

needing a trans for mine but for the pan i removed the exhaust that crossed the pan.

i tried removing the crossmember with no luck,still had to remove the exhaust,even tried jacking up the drivetrain still no luck,save yourself some time and busted knuckles and just remove the exhaust.