Lately my 96 bronco has had trouble starting. When I turn the key it doesn't start. After messing around with the gear stick and turning the key every now and then, it starts. What is wrong with it???

Asked by Jan 15, 2014 at 08:04 PM about the 1996 Ford Bronco XLT 4WD

19,425

The aluminum actuator between the key cylinder and the ignition switch.Also known as a dog leg. Cheap part but very expensive to change.

The MAIN ground....battery 1/0 CABLE as it attaches to the chassis ground connection is full of corrosion reducing available working voltages....what you must do is disassemble this flat lug and wirebrush till shiny....both sides (holding it with a pliers) and wirebrush the chassis or fender where it attaches to allow a 300 amp potential...on the GROUND side~ thank you~

Best Answer

could be insufficient voltage too toughie4x4...couldn't it? I mean check the "knock-off" labels on the top of the battery that indicates the day of the first charge...if it says "I'm five years old" you need to get a NEW batttery~

dog leg, cat claw...shrimp chip~

19,425

I've had to change several of the(dog legs) on the 92-96 f150,250 and broncos. You have to take the steering column out,put it on a bench and completely disassemble to change a $10 part.One of fords better ideas.Key gets really sloppy and will start occasionally and eventually not at all.

good work tuffie4x4...nice when something lands squarely in your wheel house...I was a tire jockey with the lead weights on a dynamic balancing machine....one day they decided NOT to use lead weights anymore...don't know how many decades ago this was~

19,425

You get those every now and then. Just trying to help folks out.

19,425

Come back and see us.