96 ford bronco wont turn off

115

Asked by Oct 04, 2013 at 07:11 PM about the 1996 Ford Bronco Eddie Bauer 4WD

ok so the car can turn on, but to turn it off....the ignition will just turn and nothing "latches" to turn it off.  I replaced the lock cylinder thinking that was it and have the same problem.  What is the issue? Im already working on taking apart the steering column, do I need any special tools?

25,025

No special tools. Be sure to disconnect the battery first. The electrical portion of your ignition switch is further down the steering column so, you're headed in the right direction. The lock cylinder actuates a gear on a rack that moves a rod that changes the position of the ignition switch down the column. The switch often falls apart (el cheap-o pot metal). Often, the collar that houses the lock cylinder wears out and you have to replace it. That is a pain-in-the-butt job but it is something you can do in your driveway if you have a few hours and a lot of patience.

115

do you have instructions on how to fix that?

25,025

A simpler fix may be to buy a steering column from a dismantler.The ignition switch is easy - two 7/16" head nuts and 1 electrical connector. You may have to loosen the column and let it down a little. The shift collar - Some prefer to pull the steering column and do it on a bench. I do it in the vehicle. Pull the steering wheel, Make a schematic of the wire locations, disassemble the wire connector and pull the turn signal switch, loosen (don't remove) the three screws that secure the collar to the column - if it's a tilt column, you'll need to pull the two pins that are the pivot point of the tilt and catch the spring. You'll pull the the lock cylinder, the inside clip and gear. The rack and rod will come out with the upper half of the collar. There is no "fixing" a worn out collar and rack - they have to be replaced. An exploded view of the column helps a lot.

115

on the steering wheel, Im not sure what to use to pull it off, there is a place written on the metal that says pull but what do you suggest I use to pull it off? and I do have a tilt column