IT IS POSSIBLE THAT ETHANOLGAS CAUSE MY MAXIMA NOT START

Asked by May 02, 2012 at 11:12 AM about the 1997 Nissan Maxima SE

13,365

Ethanol gas is a poor additive for gas. It has a short shelf life can ADD moisture to your fuel system and can cause damage to pre 1996 vehicles. Some owners manuals even recommend not to use ANY amount of Ethanol. Yes ethanol can cause your car not to start. In addition there is three grades of ethanol at many stations E10, E20 and E85. Check the fuel pump you used to make sure you did not put E20 into your car. I speak from experience on this one. I inadvertently put E20 into my 1996 chevy lumina and wrecked the engine. Hopefully this did not happen to you as well. Another issue with ethanol is that is absorbs any moisture that is comes into contact with. This can come from the air or from physically coming into contact with water/moisture. So the long and short of it is YES it can.

Nope!!! I run e85 on a daily basis. Have been for about 6 months. from experience (been a mechanic for many years) American cars suck on anything over E10, however, Asian and European cars run just fine. In fact Brazil (south america) has been using e gases for a long time. do some research on google. Really the question is, what year is your car. I have a 1996 maxima, again, NO PROBLEM!! Lumina = big problem, Maxima/other nissans = No problems please, if you don't have a maxima, or even a nissan, why would you answer a nissan related question? not all cars are the same

13,365

Agreed all cars are not the same, but ethanol is. I worked for a petroleum company for years. I saw what ethanol does to gas dispensing equipment. It causes corrosion, parts to stick and costs more to maintain than equipment dispensing non-ethanol. Ethanol has many flaws, some of which are ; it attracts moisture from the air or direct contact, it has a finite shelf life, it takes 1.4 gallons of reg gas to produce 1 gallon of ethanol, it decreases fuel mileage, it causes price increase in corn supply.

I'll not disagree with you aztec i didn't dispute any of those topics in my post, however the bottom line is the question at hand is will it make a 1997 maxima not start, the answer from me is no. I'm not saying it's better than regular gasoline, i'm saying it works fine for me. and I haven't come across any asian or european cars with rotten/corroded lines from it.

13,365

I see it often enough where people will get a bad tank of gas. It happens with regular gas, but more often with ethanol. I'm not saying no one should use ethanol. I'm just saying that I have seen ethanol cause a car not to start. It is a cumulative effect, One bad tank off ethanol will probably not effect your car significantly, but if you get several bad tanks over time the moisture can do damage to the fuel system in ANY vehicle. There is a test kit you can buy to determine the amount of water in your fuel. It separates the water back out of the fuel and gives you a percentage of water content. Some gas stations will have consistently high levels of moisture and others will have only minimal. With regular gas the moisture settles to bottom of storage tank and an alarm comes on in the store when the moisture reaches a predetermined level. With ethanol a large portion of the moisture is absorbed into the fuel.

I have a 1997 Nissan Maxima that I bought second hand in 2006. Since then it has run exclusively on E10 fuel, with no apparent problems whatsoever. Power is great, consumption is great and my pocket is greater.