Nissan maxima starting problem - help needed

Asked by Jan 26, 2011 at 03:46 PM about the 1998 Nissan Maxima GXE

I have a 1998 Nissan Maxima with 146K miles and I'm living in Kansas. When I start my car in the winter early morning  for the last few days, the engine is cranking without starting. The engine will crank for few seconds and it will shut off. After 9-10 tries, the engine will start.  The battery seems to be fine.After I drive the car for some time and if I start the car within 3-4 hours , it is starting fine. When I went to the mechanic , he told me that everything seems to be fine with the engine(at the time when I went to mechanic yesterday my car stated with one try). Can you please provide suggestion what can I do to correct this problem. Thanks!

85

Do you have a check engine light on? I would assume the mechanic would have checked for that but sometimes it won't always be on. It sounds like it could be a cam-sensor, my mechanic told me when mine was going out that it could cause the engine to spin and spin but not start because the ECU doesn't know the engine is actually spinning. Anyway it's like a $60 part if you can do it yourself so its a relatively cheap fix if its the issue. Good luck.

35

When it's cold the engine needs more fuel to start. If the temp. sensor that your computor monitors is faulty it could be telling your computor that is warmer than it actually is. 25.00 part i would try that.

Thanks Matt. I have check engine light on from 2 days back. Mechanic told me that it is due to the rear oxygen sensor failed. He told me that it should not cause an issue with the starting.

Thanks Arthur. I will try it out today.