Bars in trunk?

Asked by Apr 01, 2011 at 08:00 PM about the 1998 Nissan 200SX SE Coupe

I have a system in the trunk of my Nissan. I recently removed the carpen that the cardboard piece covering the spare tire and lined the bottom with half inch board. The problem now is that the bars in the back of the trunk, i think they are tension bars to hold the trunk open, are rubbing the top of my box and tearing up the carpet. Can these bars be removed with out causing problems in opening and closing?

Well, I removed both torsion bars in my 1997 Nissan 200sx SE to make room for two 8" woofers in the rear panel. Still one problem, these bars allows opening the trunk with ease. Now I'm in the task of finding an upgrade, "lift supports",.. either gas or mechanical.