Maxima Shuts Off While Driving

50

Asked by Jun 16, 2011 at 11:01 PM about the 2000 Nissan Maxima GXE

105K Miles.  While driving on the Freeway the power steering and brakes shut down, which caused an accident.  I just had the car tuned up with plugs and injectors

power steering and breaks work differently,PS could be a bad pump,breaksshut down,what do you mean,no break peddle,hard break peddle,need more info.what was the reason for replaceing the injectors.

50

Wow! Impressive. I didn't think I'd get a reply so I didn't provide any of the necessary details nor was I clear. My apologies. Anyway, thanks for the reply. My son was driving the car on the freeway at about 65 miles per hour. He had the cruise control on and he noticed the steering wheel tighten up and the car started to drift. He attempted said the steering wheel was too tight to gain control of the car and when he applied the brake, he said it was really hard and didn't appear to respond. At one point he thought they locked up. The result was the car hit a concrete barrier on one side of the road, then bounced to the other side, meanwhile the car spins. i.e. both steering and brakes shut down. There are extensive skid marks back and forth across the road. He never noticed any red dash lights or had any prior warnings that the systems were starting to shut down. I've owned the car for almost 7 years and have never had a problem with it. Thus, it was considered safe to pass on to my son. At 104,500 miles (April 2011) I had 6 plugs replaced along with the ignition coil boots. Other than a fog lamp, this was the only thing electrical that has ever been replaced or repaired. Here is the recent history..... 101,039 - New Tires 10-2010 101,785 - Oil change, replace fan assembly 11-2010 104,569 - replace ignition coil boots & 6 spark plugs 04-2011 105,000 - replaced rear speaker 105,950 - replaced fog lamp 05-2011 a few oil changes, alignment checks in between, but this is the big stuff. Basically, I don't really want to put the car back together only to have it happen again. I hope that is enough information. Your help and opinion is appreciated. Thanks.

sounds like their may have been a tire going down for it not wanting to steer,2 thing causes a hard break peddle,break booster gone bad,anti lock motor failed.

10

sounds like your engine stalled, check ecm for codes

50

Thanks for the input everyone. I had a mechanic check out the car and as it turns out, the fuel pump failed causing the motor to stall and when the brakes were applied all 4 locked up. Also checked the codes and they came up zero's. Just found an 04 to replace it.

105

I have a 1998 Nissan Maxima that keep shutting off on me while I am driving, I have disconnected the positive cable while the car was on and it stayed running, so I believe it is not the alternator. I have noticed right before it turns off, the car has a hard time with changing gears like it either losing power or just turning off on me. I don't know if it is the positive or negative cable, alternator, or something else.

20

This is very dangerous, either way ! Have a mechanic or dealer look at it ! What could be more precarious than having the vehicle suddenly stall while driving....especially on a highway at high speeds !

50

My 2007 Maxima tcs slip lights on the tire pressure light is also on. The cars shuts down after first few minutes of driving every morning bur does not do it for the rest of the day. The car jerks like its accelerating also. This happens throughout the day. Can anyone tell me whats going on? I have recently changed the Camshaft sensors and the Crankshaft sensor but they did not fix the problem.

70

My 1998 nissan maxima shuts off at stop signs or when im not drving fast what could be the problem

30

Same thing happened to me. Luckily I was in front of a mechanic when it did. He said he has seen this several times especially after the car(s) hit 100k miles. he stated the issue is a/some nodules/nodes that "forget" to tell the engine its still running. of course I was skeptical but one thing he said that makes me think he's telling the truth was "The car will stop but start again but it will continue to stop and one day it wont start again" My car stop twice after so now I'm taking the car to him in the morning. I will let you guys know if this resolves the problem.