my car wouldnt start...could be battery or something else??

Asked by Mar 25, 2008 at 01:36 AM about the 2004 Nissan Sentra 1.8 S

My car wouldnt start nor would it turn over. Tried to jump start it but it didnt work. It made this funny sound like when u put a playing card on the spoke of a bicycle. Also the SERVICE ENGINE SOON light was on when i started the car earlier that afternoon. Called AAA to see if they could figure out what was wrong. The AAA service guy said the battery was low and needed cleaning and for cable to be tightened. He also said before jump starting car, the red button (reset button) must be pressed for it to work. He successfully charged car. Told me to not stop and just go straight home. I arrived home and just barely in my driveway and the car just died. Am wondering if it is only a battery prob. The lights went off but then inside dash lights would flash on and off and I didnt have the key in ignition. That sound of the Card on the bike spoke became louder.  I noticed when i turned the lights for the car to off it would commence. But as I turned the light switch to on (the signal and headlights switch) it would come back on ..just keep rat a tatting. Finally we disconnected the cable to battery and it stopped. HELP!!! What do u think it is? last week, I had left my headlights on for an hour by mistake.  would that have any effect?? Could be it electrical or just about anythng?  Thx,

sounds like your atarter is done, it is stuck (to constant ticking). But to be sure I would get the car towed to your mechanice and have him look at it. You will want to get the charging system "load tested" that will tell you if there is any other problems. best of luck

I had similar problem long time back. replacing starter solves the problem. Do not try to even start your car. Please replace it immediately. YOu do not have choice. THis bad starter will damage the tooth of fly wheel, that is too expensive to replace because of high labor cost. THey have to open everthing to reach and replace fly wheel.

I've been a mechanic for almost 15 years now, and it sounds likely that your alternator went full-field on you, and might have destroyed a few other parts on the way out. Does your car have keyless entry, or a factory/aftermarket alarm system?