why won't my car turn on -_-

10

Asked by Feb 20, 2016 at 06:56 AM about the 1994 Mitsubishi 3000GT 2 Dr SL Hatchback

So my 3000gt was running good but I decided to
change my fuel filter I changed it and put the new
one in the right way when I went to turn it on it was
was accelerating up and down I didn't notice my
AFC was unplugged so I made my engine idle
normal by adjusting the screw behind the throttle
and the one on top of it, it sounded good so I went
to drive around came back and when I went to turn
the car on it turned on and my gas pedal stopped
working and it just shut off and now it cranks but
won't turn over changed the fule pump already and
got a new ECU relay also my mechanic said my
spark plugs don't get any spark so what could it be
?

10

Please help I have no clue what it could be :/

27,065

let it recycle,,,, please follow up..

114,115

Which engine? Dohc? Check negative battery cable. These cars do weird stuff if not a perfect connection.

114,115

What led you to change your fuel filter? Was car missing and running poorly? If so check timing belt. If timing not perfect it will run poorly. If belt breaks you will get no spark and possibly have some bent valves

10

Is a doch and yea it would hesitate some time while driving like it wasn't getting enough gas and I had noticed my check engine like since I got it , it would go on at times then go away and I had it checked for the code but it wouldn't show up

10

Do you think maybe I messed something up by driving it while my air filter was disconnected?

10

My mechanic said it might be the computer but he doesn't know about cars electric system he checked and said the gas lines had pressure and that the cracks shaft sensor was good too

114,115

Have to check engine code with non digital multi meter. (Old school way). Service manual explains how and what the readings mean. How many miles on your car? How long since timing belt was replaced?

114,115

Air filter unhooked would cause it to operate poorly but when hooked back up everything would be back to normal no damage caused.

Best Answer Mark helpful
10

It has 110,000 on it and I've never changed it before

114,115

Ok you need to get it checked. Hopefully it did not jump time too bad and bend some valves. Doing a compression check will tell you if the valves are ok. The psi should be between 180-200 psi for each cylinder. Any showing 0 psi have bent valves.

10

Do you know if my mitsubishi has a distributor cause my mechanic said it didn't

114,115

That motor has no distributor.

10

So what would be the main reasons my car wont turn on if my mechanics saying my cars not getting any signal he said it might be my car computers but that he's not sure

114,115

Possibly your pcm it's located under your coil packs. Or your cam and crank sensors are bad. But then again if your timing belt is broke then the cams are not turning so your cam sensor is not sending any signals to the computer or pcm for the coils to fire. First thing to check is your timing belt and that all four cams and the crank are all in time with each other. While checking the timing belt you will be looking right at your cam and crank sensors so you can test them too.

114,115

Most mech are scared of these timing belts. So if he has never done one then he s probably going to steer you away from checking it. It is very easy for an untrained mech to seriously screw your motor up for good if he not familiar with these motors. If timing belt not installed correctly it will bend your valves and possibly knock holes in the tops of your pistons the first time he tries to crank it.

10

Is it possible to check the timing belt by just removing the top cover

114,115

Not to check it properly.

114,115

But you can remove the dust covers and see if it's tight and if the cams are spinning when you try to start it. You can also see all four cams timing marks. Check them to see if all four line up properly. But the crank mark can't be seen unless the bottom cover is removed too. Do not pull or tug at the belt? If you do the valve springs can cause one single cam to move under the belt.

10

Okay ima take a look hopefully is nothing bad I mean it all started from changing my fuel filter and I forgot to mention I didn't take the pressure off before doing that do you think that might have had something to do with it

114,115

No. Have done that many times. Just a thought. Does your check engine light come on when you first turn your key on?

10

Before this all happened my check engine light would come on and go away after a couple seconds after I changed the fule filter and I turned my car on the check engine light was on the whole time and I actually stopped by an auto zone and no codes showed up

10

But I think it was on cause my AFS was unplugged so basically that was unplugged and I went on to trying to make my car sound good by accelerating it with the throttle screw and the little accelerator screw behind the throttle Do you think maybe I messed something up that way

114,115

No. Did you reset the screws back to where they were to start with? I just ask about the check engine light because if it's not coming on when you first turn your key on then the computer is not getting power.

10

No cause I didn't realize my AFS was unplugged until after it died on me and didnt turn back on

10

To be honest I haven't checked to see if the light comes on when I turn the key

114,115

Ok. Just for giggles unhook your battery for atleast ten minutes. While it's unhooked check all electrical connections in the battery/intake area. Now hook battery back up. This will reset your computer. Now try to start.

114,115

What state are you in?

10

Check how like to make sure everything is connected or to see if there's power running through them ?

10

In Boston how about you

114,115

No just check to see that all the connections that you might have bumped while replacing the filter are completely plugged in. Damn Boston. I in lower Alabama. Was thinking if you was close I could lend a hand in person getting your car back to running.

10

Dam yea it would've been good if that was possible , and yea I've put in a lot of work into this car

114,115

Something else to think about. If there is a chance that your engine got flooded while trying to start it then remove all your plugs and clean them real well. Because with these cars if one plug fouls out then both plugs on the coil will not fire. This might just be your issue.

10

What would cause my plugs to get flooded

114,115

The air filter not plugged in and you adjusting the screws on the throttle body. The computer since s throttle position and air flow to adjust the amount of fuel shooting to the plugs. Might have had way to much fuel going to the plugs and flooded/fouled them out.

10

If that's the case how do I check if thats what happened and how do I fix it , and would that cause the whole loss of signal

114,115

Will not cause a loss of signal but if he just checking if the coils are firing then yes it will cause them not to fire.

10

Okay ima check everything out tomorrow ima have to go to the shop my cars at cause I got it towed thinking he would fix it but it's still sitting there :/

114,115

Ok. Good luck.

10

I was thinking about checking my ECU how do I go about taking off do I need to unplug the battery I don't wanna damage it or short security it

114,115

Yes unhook the battery first. Yours is a 94. Probably don't have any leaking capsitor issues with it. Personally I would start with the other items listed above. In my experience with these cars your issues are more likely to be there than with your ecu. But anything is possible.

10

So I checked my timing belt and it looks good And my check engine light does not turn on when I turn the key what does that mean

114,115

That means the computer not getting power. Check the two fuse boxes for a blown fuse. Also check the positive battery connection. You should have one large and one smaller wire hooked to it.

114,115

Should also have two wires going to the negative battery terminal.

10

I checked all my fuses before and they all looked good and my friend just told me that I have to get my computer resented idk man idk what els to do

114,115

Get what done to your computer? Reset? If that's the case then unhook the battery for atleast ten minutes. That's how you reset them. Ok. Good luck.

114,115

Here's mine and my sons.

114,115

His is a 91 sl with a 94 engine in it. (Red one). Mine is a 91 VR4 (black)

114,115

This is mine as she sits today. The other picture we had just rolled her off the trailor

10

It look really well taken care of I don't have a picture of mine on my phone I've kept mine clean changed the engine on it last year has new cv axes new brake discs and brake pads

114,115

These are fun cars to own and turn heads everywhere you go. I wish you luck getting yours going soon.

10

Yea they really are everyone's always turning their head took look at the car and my music system is crazy lol I enjoy my car a lot

10

I hate not being able to drive it

10

This is my car

10

I forgot to ask do you know how my fuse box underneath the passenger is supposed to look cause it only has 10 and 15 fuses shouldn't it have some 20 or 30 in there too ?

10

So my mechanic called today and wants me to go get my car and it's still not running idk what to do -_-

114,115

Underneath the passenger?

114,115

Cool looking paint scheme. When you get it going might want to look at doing the robo mod to your head lights. With you black striped paint scheme they would look real neat.

114,115

Ok if I was in your shoes I would first find out why the check engine light is not coming on when you turn your key to the run position. It not coming on means your computer has no power.

10

Thanks and yea I made my all black lights robo mode got them in my basement lol and I opened my computer today and it looks like new

114,115

I am thinking blown fuse or faulty ignition switch not powering the check engine light (ecu).

10

I checked all my fuses and they all are good

114,115

Did you use a test light or multi meter to read both little metal tips sticking out the backs of the fuses with the key in the on position?

10

No I checked them visually I don't have a test light

10

So my cars back on the streets it was my computer that was messed up and some old connection had came apart but it's running great now !!

145

ever figure out what the problem was? when mine did what happened here its was the PTU just went bad? dont know why funny things about these cars is you change something and something else goes bad? replace that..fuse blows...find out why the fuse blkws then engine light pops up! lol wth smh