while driving vehicle will jump out of gear down to 2nd by itself. ... Complaint: while driving on highway vehicle started to downshift to 2nd or 3rd gears. also had to shut off car to

Asked by Jan 05, 2014 at 07:15 PM about the 1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse Base

while driving vehicle will jump out of gear down to 2nd by itself. ... Complaint: while driving
on highway vehicle started to downshift to 2nd or 3rd gears. also had to shut off  & back
on car to go back in normal gear

216,975

Is it a manual trans?

Its an automatic.

18,115

Does the speedometer work right?

yes it does. The needle for the RPM stays on 5, once the care drops it's self into low gear. As of yesterday, it started doing the same thin on a main road w/ an average of 30 mph. So in order to continue driving... you must turn the ignition of & quickly back on (still in drive) then it puts it's self back in the correct gear!

clarify: the Speedometer : ye it does.

5,815

sounds like your transmission computer is going out or shorting out,, that or you have some transmission solenoids that are shorting out or going bad, or possibly something is going on with the ECU telling the transmission computer that its the wrong RPMs or speeds and its shifting to correct that, this is a stretch but you never know, do ya have a check engine light on, on the dash? a lot of cars the transmission will throw a check engine light and can be scanned,, if so take it to advance auto and have them scan the car,, its free, also don't forget to have them clear the codes if there is any,, and if you get some codes from the scan come back and post them and we will try to get them figured out for ya,, I should add that you should avoid the highways or interstates til you get it solved cause dropping gears like that is hard on your engine and transmission. on more question are your RPMs normal other wise ?

I'm having the same problem was this ever resolved?