Hello I drive a 97 eclipse gst and the oil pressure doesn't seem to be working. When I start it seems like moves a little but it never goes up to where it has to be. Any ideas?

60

Asked by Apr 09, 2014 at 02:28 PM about the 1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS-T Turbo

475

Are you using the right grade oil?

60

I'm pretty sure, but I think I might have to change it because my dad used a different oil and it needed heavier oil. I just found my solution #fail. I looked up online it said it need 10w-30 but the guy at o Riley's said it was way heavier oil almost like. A diesel oil it was like 30 or something like that but he said Rey don't make that oil anymore so I been having a problem with that

21,315

you can still get straight weight oil, although it may just be the oil sender on engine block failing. if it has a oil light also and it stays off at idle, I wouldn't worry about it

6,195

sounds like either the oil pressure sender is bad or has a bad connection, or the gauge is bad or you have bigger problems like your oil pump is getting weak, and you don't need some special oil just put in some 10w40 and you should be good as far as the oil weight, was the pressure good right before you changed the oil ?

60

When I bought it, it wasn't working. We changed the oil and it still wasn't working. Even when I start the car it kinda lags a bit.

6,195

yeh sounds like the sender is bad or not connected very good or it has a build up of gunk around the sender, I don't know about the oil gauge in the eclipse but the oil gauge in the 3000gt sucks, inaccurate and unreliable,, id say check that oil pressure sender and make sure its clean and connected good, and then if that don't clear it up you should look into getting a new sender and if that don't clear it up you need to get a mechanical gauge on there and check the pressure and make sure you have good pressure and if you don't you probably have a failing or weak pump and should be changed out before you end up with a spun bearing