What is making my 15A Engine Fuse blow in my 97 Ford Escort LX

10

Asked by May 25, 2012 at 01:48 PM about the 1997 Ford Escort 4 Dr LX Sedan

I just replaced the a battery in the car. I turn the key just to turn on all of the electronics and the engine fuse will blow every time. Then the battery will stop working and all other electronic functions seize. Is it my alternator that is messed up?

1,625

did u touch any wires putting the new battery in i think u chipped some wire near it which short circuited the system that is y all the fuses blew

10

No, but the wires are a little corroded from over the years. Would it help to clean them?

1,625

yes but u have to be careful because old wires chip alot if your not careful

6,395

Why did you replace the battery??? Was everything working OK before you replaced it??? Did the battery keep going dead before you changed it? Maybe the problem was already there before you replaced it or maybe not. Double check the connections on the battery and on the solonoid located near the battery on the inner fender apron. Make sure they are tight and not touching anything else.. Did you connect the terminals correctly? could you of mixed up the battery terminals and put the negative cable on the positive terminal and the positive cable on the negative terminal??? Somehow It's grounding out when you turn the key and pull power from the fully charged battery. A dead battery or an almost dead battery probably wouldn't do that but a new battery will do that right away if something is grounding out. Make sure you didn't reverse any wires and that the cables aren't touching anywhere metal if there are bare spots in the cables, then they need replacing. It's easy to mix up the positive and negative cables and I seen many people do it. The red battery cable coming from the solonoid on the passenger side fender apron should go to positive post of the battery marked with a plus sign "+" , The Black cable that comes from the engine block just below or behind the alternator on the passenger side and goes to the negative post of the battery marked with a minus sign "-". Make sure the battery hold-down clamp or bracket isn't touching either of the battery cables, that could cause it to short out also. Kenny.

10

I believe that the cables are correct. I will check your first suggestion. The other battery that was in there was completely dead.