overheating issue in 2001 mitsubishi gallant

Asked by Aug 21, 2009 at 09:59 AM about the 2001 Mitsubishi Galant ES

hi
I have a 2001 Mitsubishi gallant es 4 cylinder model. Lately I have noticed an issue with my cooling system. Not sure if this is an issue but here goes the detail
I start my car. the temp control is below cold as I am driving my car my the temp control rises up and hits the halfway mark .the cooling fan starts off. The cooling process is started after 2-3 min the temp control goes a little above the half way mark more like 52-53% it stays there for a minute or two and then drops to 50% and then 48% and then stays there for the whole time. This happens every time I start the car and there is sufficient interval for the car to cool a little between subsequent starts.
I noticed my reserve coolant white box was empty so i put in prestone 50-50 ready to use any color mix in the reserve and drove it for some time and then noticed that the radiator had sucked some coolant an the level had gone 10% down n the coolant reserve box. The above thing still happens though even after topping the coolant
Firstly is this an issue? Or normal behavior and if it is an issue what could it be
Any help will be greatly appreciated

285

This could be really bad or not too bad... Check your oil if its watery and milky in color... you have a blown head gasket. see if your radiator has any cracks in it, it might be clogged or it might have an air bubble in it... for the air bubble i suggest you go to a professional and have them release the pocket by adding fluid while the car is running, its dangerous unless you really know what you are doing, like you could be burned extremely severely. Hopefully its the latter of the two. Also see if the fluid is leaking out of the overflow due to pressure, look for water marks where the overflow pipe goes down... or look on the passenger side when the heat increases and see if the water is on the road behind you. Hope that helps.

my 2001 gallant was running hot, put new radiator on,new thermostat on the problem was air was left in the system.had to crank car up with raditator cap off and add water until all bubble stop comeing out the raditator. fixed problem.