On a 2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse, what does an orange "Service Engine Soon!" mean? I had the oxygen sensors replaced and this light came back on

Asked by Jul 24, 2014 at 10:22 PM about the 2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT

I have a 2003 Mitsubshi Eclipse with 82700 miles on it and just recently had the warning orange "Service Engine Soon!" light on. I took it to the mechanic and he replaced 4 oxygen sensors. A few days later, the same warning light is back on. What could be the problem? Anyone out there knowledgeable enough? I feel my mechanic is "taking me for a ride". So far I have spent over $2,000 in repairs in the last month. Help! I am a senior lady and don't know much about cars.

Yes, you're getting taken advantage of for sure. I don't think that there are 4 O2 sensors on your vehicle. Maybe if you have dual exhaust. Not a Mitsubishi guy so I can't say for sure. Most cars only have two. Three at the most. The mechanic should have downloaded error codes and fixed the car accordingly. If I were you, I would go to the manager and ask to see the diagnostic test results. The codes will mean nothing to you, but they all should have been addressed and fixed. All they did was to replace parts that were probably good to begin with. For 2k your car should be running fine. Unfortunately, we cannot figure out what is wrong with your car with only "my engine light is on" for a symptom. We need more deatails. Like my car hesitates when I accelerate, or it won't start after sitting for 5 minutes no matter how many times I turn the engine over. Things like that. Just an engine light being on really requires diagnostic codes to be read in order to narrow down the issue.

What are the cel code numbers? Have them read. Auto zone will do this for free in most states. Post the codes back on here so we can better help you. Also if that the 3.0L v 6 you may have three or four 02 sensors. If yours has precats it will have four sensors. Two upstream and two downstream(one behind each precat). If no precats you may have two upstream and one downstream(behind the cat)