I have a 2005 Mitsubishi with the 3.8L engine. Engine is ticking

5,840

Asked by Mar 15, 2013 at 01:01 PM about the 2005 Mitsubishi Endeavor LS AWD

I have had all 24 lifters replaced and put a new timeing belt and tensioner on it. The engine runs good but it still has a tick in it. Does anyone know if there has been a internal problem with this engine? 3.8L 2005
would appreciate any help
Thank You

100,675

I would be having a discussion with the person that replaced the lifters.

5,840

It was ticking before we brought it in all so. I know the macanic that worked on it very well . He has done alot of work on cars for me. So i really do not believe that is any thing he did.

3,220

The tick as of now is the least of your problems. When replacing lifters "especially 24 of them" you have to replace the cam shaft as well. Any so called mechanic would know this. Why "might you ask" because the cam and lifters are only hardened so far in. When the cam and lifters when new go thru there "break in period" some of that metal is worn away. By putting in just new lifters, you are forcing a new break in period that will wear all the way through the hardened surface that is left and bingo you have a rounded cam in no time flat. Not to mention metal in your oil chewing up the rest of your engine.

yikes, had an Opel that did that...ouch...that was naughty.

114,175

That being a sohc they are more of lash adjusters than lifters. All they really do is keep tension on the rocker arm to keep it in contact with the cam lobe on one end and the top of the valve stem on the other end thru the full range of motion of the cam lobe. As long as rocker arms were put back on same cam lobe that should not be an issue. At least that is the typical sit up with Mitsubishi over head cam engines. what weight oil are you using this could contribute to the ticking.

Best Answer Mark helpful
3,220

Sure your not confusing a tick with a knock, or a exhaust leak, heat riser (if it has one)

5,840

I am useing 5 w 20 oil wich is what is recomended by the manufacture. Thats what I am wondering all so if it is a knock it is starting to use oil know to. only have 90,000 on it bought it brand new. I have all ready checked for exhaust leak. What I do not know for sure is if he got the rocker arms all in the right places. But it seems to tick more now as the engine warms up before it rattled and ticked when we first started it up in the morning. The dealer ship said that the warenty will not cover any parts that the other shop replaced unless they were original Mitsubishi parts. So guess I will bring it back to themand hope for the best said it would be a $70 dollar diagnostic charge and than they will let me know if waranty will cover it. The only reason we did not bring it to them first was because the original dealership told us we needed to proff all maintenace records fron day one. Another one said they only ask for some records if the waranty people ask for some. So guess we will go to the second one they are all so about 90 miles away from wear we live is why we went to the local shop

114,175

Do you hear it when it's sitting still or only when driving down the road?

114,175

The reason I ask is that I found on another forum other owns having similar sounds. Seems that there is some thin metal shields on that model vehicle that with age tend to break/rust/become lose or bent that seem to make a ticking type of noise. According to them one is near oil filter others around exhaust piping and drive shaft. Also seen a post about bearing in drive shaft assembly causing a ticking noise while driving. All posts stated the the noises increase with rpms and/or speed. Hope this helps. Also there are several recalls on that model but none of which apply to your issues but still might want to check into them if you have not already had them done.

3,220

Next oil change or sooner throw in some 15w-40 unless it's hot o outside then maybe even some 20w- 50 then call it a day.

so it ticks...it'll still take you to market...to market-

5,840

you can hear it more when it is idaling sitting in park after it warms up it gets louder I have tried heavier wieght oil a couple of times 10 w 30 did not seem to make a diference

5,840

Are the rocker arms separate on this engine or is it a rocker arm assembly like ford used to run and maybe still does?

head is not cracked and a torn stud happening especially at high speed oil goin everywhere on the exhaust and smokin' cracked heads are no fun.

10

2005/3.8, 140K miles - I had this same sound on mine, would happen only when idling after the engine warmed up. Driving my nephew home, the noise started while driving on the freeway, but was much louder, I started to pull to the shoulder, all dash lights came on, engine has stalled. Long story short, it turned a bearing, had to replace the motor. Since I enjoy not having a car note, I opted to buy a used one with 75K miles on it and a 6 month warranty. 37 days later, the noise started again, I texted my repair guy told him I was headed his way, half way there, engine stalled, same problem. It's being replaced under the warranty, as soon as I get it back I'm trading it. I'm done.

50

I have a 2004 Mitsubishi Endeavor when Driving I here this rattle noise....Anyone else have this problem ? Or no what it might be ?

@Barbara1234, would look at the component belt and tensioner for loose mounting bolts...also the wear on the tensioner idler pulley and shaft to see if the belt isn't "scootin' to one side" and loosing tension....check the condition of the belt to see if it isn't worn as well~

5,840

Thanks all got the problem fixed it ended up being a fuel injector that was going bad.

Notorious for heat shields on exhaust rusting away and rattling when cold. Some models have like 5 shields on the exhaust from the rear manifold back to the tailpipe. The more they rust away they will keep rattling even when warmed up. Thought I had bad valves too, turned out to be the shield near exhaust manifold between back of engine and firewall. Really sounded like it was the motor. Tricky problem.

5,840

Replaced the fuel injector and the machanic at that shop told me that these motors have allways had a tick in the valve train they used to be the 3.4 and are now the 3.8. Never really gets any louder at all mostly hear it when at an idiol. I hear about these motors going for 250,000 miles and better. It paid for so will run it as long as posible

10

The rattle is coming from the AC fan blower.... To check turn off ac and fan...move comfort selector to blow toward face onlt not too feet.. Rattling noise should stop....the fan blower is touching inside.

5,840

It has 198000 on it now we sold it to my niece a couple years ago and she has not had a problem at all with it. She loves that suv. She has put more miles on it in couple years than we did in 8 years she says it still ticks but runs great

I have a 2007 endeavor that started ticking not to long after the warranty ran out. Im way past worrying about if its going lock up.That was 110,000 miles ago, it has 211,000 miles on it and Im driving it everyday to work. Only thing I've done to this suv is put 2 starters on it. In cold weather it ticks until the oil warms up,