My brake lights stay on

Asked by Nov 23, 2013 at 11:08 AM about the 1995 Mercury Mystique 4 Dr GS Sedan

With the brake switch disconnected and flasher units removed all three brake lights stay on. I can get the normal lights to go off if I disconnect the directional switch

https://www.google.com/#q=1995+Mercury+Mystique+brake+light+switch&tb m=shop

ordinarily would say the switch should be replaced, but I'm suspecting the system ground to be clobbered up...follow the black 1/0 battery cable to where it attaches to the chassis/ground...with a wirebrush clean the lug and the chassis too--get a NEW battery as five years is as far as you can take these before they start cookin' the alternator....cleaning the lug will stop the "semi-conductor" connection caused by repeated starts from dis-similar metals~