How do I know if my transmission is going bad or im just low on fluid..on a 2000 Mercury Mystique

Asked by May 23, 2016 at 04:47 AM about the 2000 Mercury Mystique 4 Dr LS Sedan

I know my fluid is low and the place to replenish is hard to get to, but the car hesitates on hills..sometime when I first start up it will idle, then grab when I give itgas to pull out of my driveway, but after it warms up it seems ok, until I get caught in traffic and I can smell a burning odor

254,775

So you know the fluid is low how? Check the dipstick? ADding fluid is easy. Remove the dipstick, put a long funnel in the tube and add the proper fluid a little at a time and check the level after each addition. Engine must be on, in park on a level surface. Hesitating and smelling a burning odor tells me you are overheating the transmission and burning up the clutches. Just hope your trans will still work for you after you get the proper level of fluid in. Since it is leaking, continue to monitor the level. I don't recommend spending money to replace the gasket at this point, as you will need a replacement soon.

I did check the dipstick....so I'm going to try and put the proper level of fluid in...I'm lucky though, because I don't drive very often..it only turned 100,000 miles recently, Thank you for the advice, quick question..you said don't spend the money on a gasket is the gasket the replacement that you reffered to?