How can I get my hood open on 1999 cougar hood release doesn't work anymore

Asked by Dec 29, 2013 at 10:27 AM about the 1999 Mercury Cougar 2 Dr V6 Hatchback

if the grille cannot be removed, you'll have to get at it from the bottom side with a mechanics prybar....from the underside look for the latch...put the pointed screwdriver tip into the mechanism and twist....releasing the hood~

if the cable is broken on the latch side...you can use a vicegrips on the sheath...and pull the cable with a pliers~

101,575

If you can't get it with pliers on the inside I prefer to use a coat hanger to hook the latch under the hood. Takes some patience but can be done. Use caution not to scratch your paint no matter how you go about getting it open.

56,715

If the cable is intact but the hood just won't "pop" try having a helper bang on the center of the hood at the front with the heel of their hand while you pull on the hood release inside. Once you get it open lube the latch with white lithium grease so it doesn't stick again. HTH. - Jim

101,575

Good catch Jim. I took it for granted that the cable was broke. Do as Jim suggested if cable is not broke.

10

Take a pry bar and shove it as far in under the hood as possible, preferably to angle on the metal structure instead of the plastic grill or light structure. Pry up as hard as you can and stick a block of wood in to hold the space. Use a long slotted screwdriver at the spot circled in the picture and hit it several times in succession using a hammer on the screwdriver. This will pop open the hood.

10

A likely reason for the problem is behind the plastic kickplate next to the driver's left foot. Behind this easily removable small panel is the other end of the hood release cable. In many cases its supporting grommet will have slipped out of its horseshoe shaped bracket. Just push it back in and test to see if the hood releases. If it does, replace the kick panel and you're good to go. To ensure the problem does not happen again, you could secure the cable in place with a plastic cable tidy or similar.