i need to know what the problem with mar car is

Asked by Dec 11, 2014 at 06:11 PM about the 2000 Mercury Cougar 2 Dr V6 Hatchback

i have a 2000 mercury cougar v6 and when i try to start the car it doesnt want to turn over
at all but all the lights and everything come on the battery and the alternator are both still
perfectly fine iv had em tested so i dont know what else is causing the problem the guy at
auto zone said it was most likely sum like fuel wise or ignition wise

When you turn the key from "on" to "start" - does it make a pop noise under the hood?

Check cable,s from battery to starter,positive and ground,then check your starter.

As T_S_T said, and as I questioned above, you may have an electrical issue. Unless your engine is hydrolocked and flooded with fuel, it is not a fuel issue. If your car is a manual, you can try pop starting it to see if it will run. If it is electrical, it may not run very well having 6 plugs and 6 injectors and all the sensors going. First, take a nice sized screw driver and tap the solenoid (smaller cylinder on the starter) with the plastic end while someone else is trying to start your merc. The brushes might be stuck. If your car is making the pop noise that I mentioned, then you most likely have an electrical issue and not an issue in the ignition circuit because all the dots are getting connected, but you just don't have enough power. If it is popping once, then it is popping the drive out to engage with the clutch plate between the engine/trans but the starter doesn't have enough power to spin the engine. If it does nothing, then it could be a sensor or relay not completing your ignition circuit and not allowing you to start the car. Before I go any further though, we need you to let us know what is going on. If you do not feel comfortable going further, call a mechanic and have them come look at / take your car to fix it. We need to know if turning the key does absolutely nothing, no noises, etc or if it is as I described OR if there are other factors. There is a big difference in factors between the two. Please respond soon.

Erving Whatley

It's okay he's not getting any power The Misfits what is the problem

This is almost two years old... Are you having similar trouble?