I have a 2002 Cougar that has a thumping noise in the rear end, if I am on a bad road it drives me crazy, any suggestions as to what it could be?

Asked by Feb 11, 2012 at 09:02 PM about the 2002 Mercury Cougar 2 Dr V6 Hatchback

We have replaced the shocks/struts and even the gas tank thinking it was making the noise, nothing helps...any suggestions?  We have taken the sparetire out to check for anything loose but can't find anything....please help?

2,645

I not sure if this vehicle has a rear subframe or not but if has i would suspect tha mounting bushes are split or detached had this fault with Mercedes cars quite often, also are you sure it is coming from the rear, had a car with shot engine mounts that did this and sounded like the rear end was thumping the floor. Just a thought, Paul.

Thanks Paul....we took the subframe out when we replaced the gas tank..the whole rear end frame, but not sure if the bushings were changed at that time...our mechanic thought everything looked good then.....as for the motor mounts I will have that checked as soon as possible ...believe me at this point I am ready to research any possibilities......thanks again.

5

could be eng mounts on rwd cars....being a fwd cougar think your on the right path with rear subframe or bushes...recently had that on my cougar - all looked good but eventually found it was the o/s rear anti-roll bar link ;)