I have a 2002 Cougar 5-speed, V6 that is having a major oil problem. It's leaking on the motor & my tail pipe is completely black. Small small oil spots on the ground as soon as I put it in park but no major puddles. The smell is awful & it's smoking when I park it after driving it. Had my oil changed on a Wed and by that Sunday, it was completely dry. Not even enough to wet your finger. Please, any ideas on what may be causing this????

Asked by Jun 01, 2015 at 11:34 PM about the 2002 Mercury Cougar 2 Dr V6 Hatchback

MAJOR oil leak. Had my oil changed on a Wed and by Sun, there was no oil at all in it. Completely dry, not even enough to wet my finger. No major drips/leaks. A little bit of oil on the motor but no where else. My tail pipe however is black & there's black stuff all over the back of my car. PLEASE HELP!!!!

58,285

Sound,s like you have bad piston ring,s or valve seat,s,the bad this is internal engine issue and will need to be rebiult,the oil is going out the tail pipe.

56,575

Drain the oil that's left in there and remove the oil filter. Examine what comes out very carefully. If it has a reddish color to it the shop put transmission fluid in the crankcase. Is the smoke grey or blue? HTH. -Jim