1992 mazda mpv high rpm at idle

Asked by Jan 03, 2011 at 02:05 AM about the 1992 Mazda MPV 3 Dr STD 4WD Passenger Van

Hello, Happy New year.
The RPM at idle in my 1992 Mazda MPV keeps reaching 2300.
It drops to about 1500 when in Drive and with brakes firmly pressed in. But when in Park or Neutral it reaches 2300 or pulsates by itself 2000 -2300. I kept driving the car in this condition for a while and Today when I wanted to start the car, it started and after few seconds it died like it run out of gas and all dash lights went off. I tried to start it again. But when I turned the key into START the lights would go off again. I hooked the car battery to another battery and same thing happened: When I turned the key, the light were on, but they were off as soon as I wanted to start the car and they would not come back when I tried to restart the car. The batteries were  at 12,5V more or less. I charged them up to 14V (showing on the charger;s digital screen)
I hope I did not describe it too confusing.
What would you sugest I can do about the electrical issue and the high RPMs.

Thank you.

Ted  

40

Hi, MPV has a specific idle vacuum system, when the engine is cold, I have the same problem/high idle at start up cold in the winter and very high vacuum, noticeable if you apply the brakes, very slight step on them you get a result as stepping on them with both feet/bang your head on the front windshield/Remedy is very expensive/replacing a lot of rubber pieces at the front end of the engine/under a piece of black plastic at the front top end of the engine when you open the hood, not worth the money, in summer/warm weather/ problem is not so evident, in winter simply idle the engine longer till it warms up or waste a lot with the Mazda dealership with an arbitrary repair, which you can not test till next winter;do not warry this does not affect the overall performance of the 3 lit MPV, keep driving it; mine has more than 390 000 km and still runs;

40

This has nothing to do with electrical;it is simply the way the Japs designed the idle to operate at idle, when very cold and very old /1992 MPV/, lots of worn out and hardened rubber components, not worth/expensive/ replacing; keep idling for a longer time in cold weather; best solution- sell the MPV but duiring the summer, when there will be no start up problems