Why do the rear air bags on my 1999 continental uninflate randomly? No pattern to this proble,

Asked by Jul 21, 2015 at 11:45 AM about the 1999 Lincoln Continental 4 Dr STD Sedan

The air bags might deflate several times a day and then it may not happen again for a week....I bought the coil spring kit but don't want to install if there is a fix for this problem.
The care only has 85000 miles on it.

Go ahead with the coil-spring kit, especially since you have already bought it would be my suggestion. Your present problem is likely the height sensor. But the more time and mileage goes by the more trouble you are going to have with the air-bladders. If they are not already leaking on a 15 year old car they will soon. They usually don't last this long. Then with the springs, no worries about compressor, regulators, air-lines, leaks, height sensors, and on and on. You will probably notice a very slight reduction in the 'smoothness' of ride, but not enough to keep pouring money in to repairing an air-ride system.

Best Answer Mark helpful

I had a 1990 Lincoln T/C, a great car, loved it. But I made the mistake of not going to coil springs when one of the suspension bladders developed a leak. I replaced it both, one of the bladders I could see where it had been rubbing....$275, doing the work myself. And I had to have 3 floor jacks. and then the height sensor failed. Another $150. Down the drain. Then for $150 I put on springs. Problem solved. My wife said at the time she could feel the difference, but I believe it was 100% power of suggestion -- if she had not known I put the springs on I bet the farm she would have never noticed.