why does gas pedal depresses on its' own

Asked by Dec 17, 2015 at 06:36 PM about the 2001 Lincoln LS V8

From stop begin to depress gas pedal and it pulls away from my foot. Have to step hard on brake and put in neutral. It stops taking off a few seconds.

Mark Grignon

This vehicle has a throttle body and I believe it is cable driven from the pedal. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I'm also assuming the vehicle has cruise control which if enabled will in fact take the pedal off of your foot. I would check to verify the cruise control is not enabled and if it is still a problem, pull the fuse for the cruise control and see if it goes away. You may have a problem with the cruise control unit.

I think Mark has the best guess. The only other possibility is something pushing or pulling on the throttle cable.

Best Answer
Guy Outland

When you put it in neutral do the engines rpm's start climbing up to about 4k rpm? The cruise isn't active until 25mph or so but if the mounts are bad or the cruise cable is routed wrong it can bind and cause the throttle body to open. Just opening the t/b shouldn't pull the accelerator away from your foot as it will just put some slack in the throttle cable. Do you have abnormally large or worn out floor mats? As the mats age they can bunch up at the pedals and cause unwanted acceleration.

Guy Outland

FoR there we go typing at the same time again.

See my other question. The problem hasn't repeated since the battery went dead and was replaced.