my 01 LS will turn over but not start...could it be the fuel pump?

Asked by Jan 25, 2013 at 11:02 PM about the 2001 Lincoln LS V8

Yeah, it could be, but it could also be a multitude of other things, Start by checking if you have spark. You MAYBE can do that the old fashion way, if that engine is not one of the 4.6L with a coil for every plug, therefore no wires...a whole different can of worms... by sticking a phillips screwdriver in a spark plug wire, hold the screwdriver about a 1/4 inch from the tip of the spark plug, have somebody crank it and you should have a nice blue spark. A yellowish spark is a weak spark and needs attention, it may not be hot enough to ignite the fuel/air. OK You have spark? Next is fuel...then we are getting to the fuel pump, injectors and pressure in fuel rail. You need a tester for that, there is a nipple on the rail just for that purpose. OK, you have plenty of fuel pressure? and a nice blue spark? Still no start? Timing. The timing can be checked even if the engine is not running, make sure your battery is charged, it may have become weak if you have repeatedly tried to start it ...borrow, beg, buy or steal (just kidding) a timing light and check the timing. Now going backward, if you have no spark, coil(s)..check more than one

You say V8 but 4.6L..5.0L 302, or what?

Hold on, I looked up that Lincoln and the only V8 offered from 2000 to 2006 was the 3.9L..that is what you have, right? That is an engine designed by and used in Jaguars, and Ford bought the rights to reverse engineer it and build it and it does have 8 individual coils

35

I was fiddling around with my rear speakers on a LS V8 I just purchased, it used to have a amp and sub it looks like. some wires still remained but I cut main power to it. Anyway don't know what touched but it died and wouldn't start. First thing I did was disconnect the battery, in the truck, and started at the fuse block next to it, sure enough one of the last I checked was blown. Replaced it with my last 15amp micro fuse, and headed to store for more before exploring what rats nest I inherited. Basically start at simplest thing, fuses, etc that don't take long. then see whats causing the problem in the first place.