After I shut my car off 2002 Lincoln about 20 minutes later the front end makes a noise sounds like eeerrrr!!?

Asked by Jul 23, 2015 at 07:45 PM about the 2002 Lincoln Continental 4 Dr STD Sedan

More than likely you are hearing the air-ride compressor

Thank you! Is this sound ok or normal? I know nothing about cars:)

It;s normal...to a certain extent. The compressor can kick on at any time, when the height sensor detects the car 'dropping'. But it is a clue that you may be in the first stages of air-bladder leaks, or air lines. It really shouldn't kick on after 20 minutes, but not necessarily bad --yet. After a pre-set amount of time the compressor won't kick on, otherwise if there is a leak it would drain the battery trying to keep up, to keep the car level. It might pump up once or twice then stop. I don't mean to alarm you, that there is that there is anything wrong...now. Probably fine. But a 2002, a 13-14 year old car will begin to have these problems. The rubber air-bladders wear out. Sometime much sooner than yours. This is one here. They fill with air, and produce a ride like a cloud, but don't last forever. (Will go full screen)

Entire system

52,595

Compressor can kick on up to an hour after shutting the engine off. Mine is pretty noisy in my Marauder. The noise you are hearing is normal.

lastly...

Good morning Bob

52,595

Good morning my friend. How are things on the left coast?

Back to normal after rare summer rain. My lawn turned green again, after being the good citizen I am and cut watering it by 80%.

52,595

I don't water, we have buffalo grass.