Etc and overheating on 2003 Lincoln ls 3.9 v8

Asked by Aug 01, 2014 at 02:35 PM about the 2003 Lincoln LS V8 Sport

Okay, this is going to be a long one. I own a 2003 Lincoln ls with about 115,000 miles
on it. The car started having etc code come up on the instrument panel every time I
started it and would go into limp mode. Once the car warmed up, I could restart the
car, and it would run fine. So I tried to find the problem, but still drove the car. Then I
had my coolant reserve tank break, so I replaced. After that, the car kept overheating.
Over time I replaced the engine cooling fan, the caps, the water pump, the thermostat
housing and thermostat, made sure all the hoses were good, and that there were no
collapsed hoses. During a test drive to test some work, the gas pedal failed to
respond. I replaced the throttle body, and the positioning sensor. After unplugging the
battery with the new one in, the pedal worked fine. Now I still have the etc failure mode
and the overheating problem. I took it into the shop, and the codes are telling them
that it is a throttle body. I doubt this because I replaced one already. Any thoughts?

110,985

I would key on the overheating first. Make sure you have properly blead all the air out of the cooling system. Air in the system will cause it to overheat. If you are sure all the air is out then inspect coolant cap. If gasket appears warn or extremely loose then replace with proper psi cap for your car. Bad cap can cause overheating. How hot did it get when the res broke? If it got overheated might have a head gasket issue but let's hope not. If in USA go to auto zone and have the codes read. What are the code numbers? Post them back on here this will give us clues to the etc limp mode problems. Possibly a bad coil on plug assembly.

150

Usually the degas bottle slowly rots and will not show signs of leakage, but if it's yellowed, replace it, then put a purge kit on the heater hose line, and purge from there with the bleeder open until all the air hisses out of it and you have a steady dribble...make sure the level at the degas bottle (or as some would call, the recovery tank) is to factory spec...I went round and round with my 2003 LS v8 on the overheating until I did this, practically replacing everything over the course of a year, with no overheating problems since then...but purging from the heater hose will push the air out of the coolant system better than ANY Lincoln recommended process, and air in the system KILLS the plastic parts of any LS's cooling system. The pressure building usually causes cracks to form in the plastic components...

I'm in the same situation my car keep over heating after the transmission shop stopes it from over heating the first time