Kia Rio 2002 sitting two years HELP

Asked by Aug 02, 2016 at 08:15 PM about the 2002 Kia Rio Base

Hello, I am a girl who knows nothing about cars and I am was reading
posts here, very  good stuff.

Just need advice what to tell mechanic  it needs, making sure all is done
correctly so car is not further damaged.

I have a 2002 Kia Rio that has sat two years, long story. Can any of you
help with a checklist of what to do before even starting?

Do I have to clean fuel tank? I have no idea how much gas was in it.

The tires were new, and two are holding air but front two were flat and not
holding air.

Just looking for advice and most economical way to do this.

Thank you!

6,535

I would start with an oil/filter change, flush and replace coolant. depending how much fuel you have in the tank, I would pump it out or just run it til it's low and add new fuel, using supreme fuel at least for the first tankful. 2 years it's not that bad unless it was in extreme weather conditions. ur going to need new wiper blades and check lights and brake system, sometimes calipers lockup and won't work right. You may hear brakes squeak for first 50 miles but it'll go away afterwards, Other than that, you should be ok.

Thanks for reply! It's Miami hot humid and nasty but it was under shade tree. It's needs new head gasket $1K repair but worth it since I own car free and clear. It is completely dead, was going to try having battery charged and try to start. Then take and have all fluids replaced. But was told additives in gas turn into jello basically and not to run without cleaning tank by dealer. You guys are talking about adding cleaning stuff into gas and its working for you. I would listen here before a dealer. Maybe better to tow for head gasket re[air and get all done at once?

6,535

If ur gomna get the head done, don't nother with the fluids since they'll have to be replaced when u do the head anyway, except for the gas but it should be ok

Do you think repair shop or dealer? I have has good experience with local hyundai and honda repair dealerships.

I have tried local shops and some it seems if the car type is not their specialty there have been issues.

6,535

It shouldn't be that difficult, i just did a 2005 kia spectra

Thanks. Do you have to have gas tank cleaned or will getting out what you can and filling with detergent gas and something else be ok for engine?

6,535

Just refilling should be fine. What happens when car sits for too long, the vapors eat up the components and you'll see if the pumps still works, u should be ok. Cleaning tank is not necessary unless u know the gasoline was contaminated